Chapter 2: Mr. Ashry

I can feel the thickness of the air in the car. I haven't spoken since Gloria said that I would have to live with my father and, well I guess my brothers as well. I don't know if I rather live with him, a man I have only known to have abandon me or with a bunch of disgruntled strangers. I wanted to scream and punch and kick, a full blown tantrum, but I was too exhausted. The need of more sleep pulled me down and the overwhelming feeling of having zero control of anything in my life knocked me out cold.

Once again Mrs. Gloria shook me awake but, this time when finally awoke she was standing out of the car along with all of my belongings. Slightly confused at my current surroundings wiped the sleep out my eyes and shook off my hot nap. Outside the car the sun had reappeared and behind Gloria stood perfectly landscaped trees and full bushes. "Evie, we are here." she said and I responded by stepping out the car. Luckily we were parked far down the pristine white concrete driveway, far enough at least to see the small amount of people standing at the marvelous door.

Even from a far you could see they had been styled that day for excellence. Gloria began to speak to me but I shut her out, too immersed in my new surroundings. I looked down at my outfit. I wore a blue hoodie that's arms engulfed my hands and my old pair of ripped skinny jeans. Just then I noticed that my shoes, the only pair I owned, had a drop of blood on them. Flush immediately met my face and it felt like the panic I was feeling made my hair frizz up some more. Not only are these people dressed better than me, they are better than me and I just know they will hate me. I'm too ugly and too sick looking to ever belong with these people.

I have no idea how I didn't realize until I nearly reached the entrance to the house that my very father stood just in the middle of the fancy dressed people. He stood almost like a statue but, also like he had been ripped from a magazine spread. I noticed the dark circles under his eyes and how he fiddled with watch. A very small part of me wanted to run up into his arms and have him spin me around in circles, every little girls favorite part of returning home right. But, I'm not that little girl anymore, he killed her spirit long ago. My feet moved with Gloria and my eyes wanted to cry badly but, somehow I remained a void.

It seemed like we walked up to the door in slow motion, like time had slowed down just for me and my misfortune even though the only thing I wanted was this to be over quickly. I pushed my unruly hair behind my ears and tried to pat smooth my jacket in an attempt to look more put together. Gloria and I reached the door and she began greeting everyone. "Hello." She began, "I'm Mrs. Gloria Wilkes but, you all can call me Gloria." A tight smile across her face.

A beautiful Hispanic looking woman in a modest skirt and button up spoke first after a moment of silence. "Hello Evie, I'm Josefina." I don't meet her eyes or respond besides and low head nod. There was another social worker there, I have no idea why but him and Gloria seemed to know each other. Everyone's smiles seemed to big and too fake, didn't my mother just die, don't you care. I bit the inside of my lip, there is only one more person to say hello to me, my father.

He cleared his, I noticed the worry plastered on the nice woman, Josefina's face and it sparked wonder in my mind. I still hadn't look him in eye yet or even his face really. "Hello Evie." His came out a little pained. I look up to him. My eyes start to burn. His eyes soften at my face. I know he see the cuts and bruises from my accident. "Um, hi." Once again my voice feels weird on my tongue and immediately look down cheeks burning. An awkward moment of silence falls and shift in my spot rubbing my pained shoulder.

"Okay then, Evie, why don't we let these guys talk and me and you can go up to your room?" Josefina says, I like her voice it is kind of calming. She walks up to me and guides me to the door. "You know put up your clothes. I believe staff has already taken them up, it could be kinda fun." I look up at her. What does she mean staff? This house has a staff, like servants. What has my life come to?

We walk into the house. It is quite and her heels click on the tan tiled floor. I have only just seen the entrance and it is bigger than my entire house. It looks too clean be lived in. Josefina walks towards the winding stairs and I follow. She makes a sharp left turn and I stop confused, "Are we not taking the stairs?" I shyly ask quietly. It turns out we are actually taking the elevator. The metal moving box's doors close and Josefina speaks up. "Darling, I apologize for Mr. Ashry." My breath hinges remembering every time I have been called "Mr. Ashry's abandoned daughter". "He was extremely nervous for your arrival." I bet he was.