Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Huh?" Teresa shook her head, coming back to reality. Her words were distant. She was there, but her mind was somewhere else. "Oh, nothing. What did Tom say?" Ruby broke down what Thomas had told her. "So we're leaving? Tonight?"

Ruby nodded. "I think so — I hope so. I need to go get my bag. Have you seen Dimitri?"

"Aww, you're like a momma", Teresa teased. Ruby scowled. If she was going to be anyone's 'momma' she'd be a better one than Ava, that she promised. "He's with Leo."

Ruby nodded. "Come with me then." When she grabbed her hand, Teresa's breath hitched. Ruby frowned. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine", Teresa nodded, forcing a smile. "Let's go."

They went back up to Ruby's room, where Ruby was quick to throw in anything she needed

They went back up to Ruby's room, where Ruby was quick to throw in anything she needed. She checked to make sure her drawings were safe. They were. She'd have to remember to add Teresa to them. It had taken her days to get each face in there. She'd sketched every free chance she got. Knowing that some of these boys had passed away... Ruby zipped the bag up. "Here, sit down."

Teresa looked confused, but she did as requested of her. Ruby took her brush and an extra rubber band. Gently, she brushed and gathered the girl's hair, tying it up in a neat ponytail. "Why does it feel like we've done this before?", Ruby asked around the ribbon that she'd tucked between her teeth.

Teresa wanted to say that it was because they had, but she didn't. The thought only made her feel worse. "We were close before our big fight, remember? I'm sure we've done this a million and one times."

"Right", Ruby nodded.

The next few hours in the Glade were like no other. Everyone was going crazy. Most of them had decided to go. Only a few thought that the trip was foolish, and they let it be known. There was too much stuff to be done to worry about them. Ruby only hoped that they would be okay, whatever happened to them in the end.

Ruby and Teresa helped fill backpacks. Leo came to help out too, bringing over the water bottles that Chuck was filling. "Think we'll make it out alive?", he asked on his last trip. He was trying to put on a brave face, but his voice shook just a little. He kept glancing towards the Maze doors. Ruby knew he was waiting on Minho and the other Runners to return.

"God, I hope so", Ruby whispered.

Minho did finally return. She was pretty sure that Leo didn't leave his side again. Thomas was too busy to talk, handing out weapons. She still had her sword on her, but he did stop by to check on her.

Eventually, he came back to get Teresa. "Be safe, you two!", Ruby called to the retreating figures. Once there were no more packs to fill, she went and found Dimitri. "Are you coming with me?" She had to speak a little bit louder, only in yes or no questions. He nodded. Ruby sighed in relief. If he'd said no, she was sure she would've sat down and refused to move. "Good." She placed the extra pack on his back. For good measure, she tied the hanging strings, which were usually used to adjust the straps, around his middle. "Don't lose that. And stay close to me at all times." Once again, he nodded.

Now all they had to do was wait.

In the meantime, Ruby ate with Leo. She made sure Dimitri was full too. In a few days, she grew to love him like the younger brother she never had. "So you're saying you were one of those babies who gets fertilized in labs? Oh my God, you're a test tube baby!", Leo exclaimed.

Ruby slapped him upside his head, laughing. "Sure, Leo. I'm totally a test tube baby. Some women have trouble having babies, so doctors fertilize them. My mom just wanted me to have perfect genetics. I remember hearing about stuff like that once. It's called a designer baby. Doctors mess around with the embryo." (A/N: designer babies are a real thing, you can google them. Please don't get this idea in your head, no one knows the effects for sure yet.)

"Well, she did a good job, look at you", the boy teased, giving a wolf whistle.

"You're an idiot."

Minho came and fetched them. He looked nervous and anxious and excited all at once. Leo caught them all off guard by pulling the boy into a feverish kiss. Ruby whistled teasingly, just as Leo had earlier. "Alright, love birds, I promise you that you will see each other again. Neither of you is gonna get hurt, not on my watch."

Those who were leaving all met at the West Door. Ruby caught Dimitri's hand. She gave it a gentle squeeze as Newt began to speak. "There's forty-four of us. Make sure you've got your weapons. Other than that, there isn't much to say. You've all been told the plan. We're gonna fight our way through to the Griever Hole, and Tommy here's gonna punch in his code, and then we're gonna get payback on the Creators. Simple as that."

"Shouldn't somebody give a pep talk or something?", Minho asked once Newt was finished. Everyone turned to look at him expectantly. Minho groaned. Of course. He turned to look out at him, his tone dry. "Be careful. Don't die."

Ruby stifled a laugh. "Great. We're all bloody inspired", Newt said flatly. He pointed towards the Glade. Since Minho wouldn't, he took matters into his own hands. "After two years of being treated like lab rats, we're finally taking a stand. Tonight, we're taking the fight back to the Creators, no matter what we have to do to get there. Tonight, the Griever's better be scared." Now that was a pep talk. Once Newt had finished, every Glader raised their weapons high and let out battle cries. Newt raised his weapon as well, shouting. "Hear that, Creators? We're coming!"

Newt turned and ran into the Maze. The others, still cheering, ran after him. Ruby went to move, but a hand caught her wrist. "Ruby."

"Hm—?"

Thomas was the one who had grabbed her. In one fluid, quick motion he had pulled her close. Their lips fit like the pieces of a puzzle. The kiss was warm and inviting. It was passionate, but it had the underlying twinge of worry. This wasn't an 'I need good luck' kiss. It was an 'in case I never see you again' kiss. Ruby was surprised at how okay she was with that.

Once they pulled away, Ruby shoved him forwards. "Go. They need you up there in the front."

Thomas nodded. "Just make sure that wasn't goodbye." Thomas disappeared into the Maze.

Ruby glanced back at the Glade one final time. It looked sad and deserted. Very few boys were left. Surprisingly, leaving it behind felt like leaving home. She jogged to catch up, noticing that Dimitri was waiting for her just around the first corner.

If you die, pray that hell or heaven lets you in.

DECEMBER 15, 2019yes I started combining chapters and skipping things

DECEMBER 15, 2019
yes I started combining chapters and skipping things.
sue me. it got a little boring. 😔