Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"So that's what she meant by 'we did this'..." Thomas trailed off, seemingly deep in thought.

They didn't speak again. Two more hours passed. Thomas remained deep in thought while Ruby watched the thorn bushes. It's like she expected them to suddenly do something.

Eventually, Chuck and Leo came and brought them lunch. A few pieces of chicken and two glasses of water. "How're you holding up, champ?", Leo asked with a grin.

"I'm losing it, Leo, I really am", Ruby whispered. "I'm going crazy in here."

Leo laughed. "I'm sorry, kiddo. At least the day is half over. Things are getting back to normal out here too, finally. Everyone's working like they should, the Runners are out doing their thing. We have a chance at surviving yet."

"Good, I'm glad", Ruby nodded, smiling a little. "Any updates on Gally?"

Leo frowned, unusual on his pretty face. "Not a peep. No one's seen him. Newt told the Runners to come back quick if they find his body. Oh! You'll be happy to know that Alby's up and about now. He seems alright. Newt is glad he doesn't have to be in charge anymore. Can't blame him."

"And you?", Ruby asked, raising a brow.

Leo grinned. "I'm just fine, babe, I swear."

"And Minho?"

"He's good, I think. He's a little too busy for me lately", Leo explained with a shrug. "I get it though. With everything that's going on... Well, his job is critical." Ruby reached through the bars and touched his arm. Leo leaned into the touch appreciatively. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm going a little crazy too. I wanna get out of here, but there's nowhere to go. Don't know where I would go." He moved his arm to grab her hand.

Ruby gave his hand a gentle squeeze. "Don't worry about it, Leo. I promise I'll get you out of here. And, whatever's out there, we'll face it together, yeah?"

"Good that", Leo agreed, squeezing her hand in return. "Don't leave me behind, okay?"

Ruby smiled. "I would never. You, sir, are one of the best parts of my world. Without you, I'd probably be a lost soul."

Leo snickered. "Without me, you'd have starved your first few days here."

"Hardy-har-har", Ruby said sarcastically. "Thank you, my wonderful savior, Leonardo, for continuing to feed me and look after me like the good puppy that I am."

Leo snickered, glancing over at Chuck. He and Thomas seemed to be having a much deeper conversation than Leo and Ruby were. Part of him wondered if he should get Ruby to plug her ears so that the boys could have a nice, quiet moment together. But then he looked at Ruby. In her eyes, he saw everything and nothing at once. She was tired and broken down and sad. Leo knew that a vast majority of these emotions stemmed from the boy locked up next to her. His heart ached for Ruby. He couldn't imagine what he would do if Minho woke up one day and no longer loved him. Leo drifted off into deep thoughts.

Suddenly, Ruby was snapping her fingers in his face. "Hello? Yoo-hoo? Earth to Leo." Leo shook his head. He was trying to shake himself out of his daze, turning his pretty green eyes towards her.

"Huh?", he asked dumbly.

Ruby giggled a little. He'd never heard her do that before. It made him smile. "Where'd you go, dude?"

Leo shook his head, still smiling. "Just thinking. Nothing for you to worry about, babe. Sorry, I won't disappear again. Pinky promise." Ruby smiled, wrapping her pinky around his. Leo looked behind him, where one of the other Builders was calling his name. He turned back to her with a sigh. "I guess I better get going. Those slintheads'll skin me alive if I even think about slacking off too long." Leo backed away, and his fingers slipped out of Ruby's own.

She turned around to see a pacing Thomas. "What's got you all worked up now?"

Thomas's eyes were red, glistening with unshed tears. "We have to get them out. Promise me we'll get them out, Ruby", Thomas pleaded.

Ruby was slightly shocked. Her lips parted. She opened and closed her mouth several times, trying to find the right words. How could she promise that? Neither of them knew exactly what they needed to do. Not yet. Still though... Ruby swallowed thickly. She nodded her head. "I promise", she whispered. "We'll get them all home. As many as we can." She hoped so, anyway.

DECEMBER 14, 2019in case y'all were wondering, yes: the end ofchapter 31 is horrifically sad when you're rereading the book

DECEMBER 14, 2019
in case y'all were wondering, yes: the end of
chapter 31 is horrifically sad when you're re
reading the book. 😭