#14

She had placed the lunch on the dining table and looked at how he was so engrossed in reading his book. Through her peripheral view, she caught the name of the book. 'The Gate Crasher' by Sophie Kinsella. By Allah, she got annoyed every day by this annoying reading habit of his. How can a person sit there all day reading words? How did he feel? Happy afterwards?

She heaved a sigh and walked over to where he sat with tentative steps, "Your food is ready," she uttered, her head dung down as she fiddled with her fingers. She was always nervous when she was around Maheer, she felt uncomfortable and not at ease. She felt as though the blue colour of his eyes stared deeply into her soul and saw all of her secrets and fear. She wanted nothing more than him to stop making eye contacts with her because whenever he made such, she felt her knees going weak.

"I said your food is ready," she repeated, seeing how he didn't spare her a glance, fully engrossed in his book.

Maheer looked up and stared directly into her eyes. Fadwa closed her eyes and hung her face down, not wishing to find his eye on her when next she looked up. "Do you have to tell me that, twice?" She shook her head at the annoyed voice he used on her.

Before she answered him, a call came through his phone and he hissed softly before he walked over to the dining table, leaving his book on the sofa with a bookmark attached. She groaned at the book and walked back to the kitchen, the only place she was safe in. Lily had walked outside on her own and the moment Fadwa saw that, she locked the main entrance and wished he wouldn't open it unless he was going outside.

"Mamitah, I've been calling you for two days now but it wasn't going through," Maheer said before he clacked the spoon he held onto the dining table and Fadwa rushed out. She always forgot about serving him, and if care wasn't taking, Maheer would give her the most harassing moment of her life.

"I'll call you right back, Mamitah." He excused himself and looked up at Fadwa with a pierce expression on his face. "How many times do I have to tell you this? Just how many times? Tell me, at your wrenched and dirty home, does your mother not serve your father? Don't you know the simple etiquette of life? Weren't you taught this at home? How in the whole word will you bring someone food and just go back to your works?" His voice was high and his words were like a knife to Fadwa's heart. Today, she stared directly into his eyes without shivering, she wanted him to get the answer of his questions without her voicing them out to him.

I have a father that never stays with us. My mother doesn't have the priviledges all other wives have, she doesn't serve him because he doens't eat at home and doens't even provide for us. She hustles to bring food to our table and he doesn't give a damn about our upkeep. I don't know of the life etiquette because all I was brought up to was a wrecked home, an abusive father and a mother in pain. She wished she could tell all this to him, but she couldn't. How their eyes met felt like the morning sun in the bright blue sky, it hurt them to stare that deeply into each other's eyes, but she couldn't take her gaze away from him. Having him mention her parents eveyrday hurt Fadwa more than the humiliation she got from him. Just because he had the best family, devoid of hardship and pain, didn't mean everyone had. She wished he would consider her feelings for once before he spoke about her family.

"Are you going to keep staring at me until the gold in your eyes turns into fire and you burn me, Fadwa?" Even to him, the way his voice sounde so soft and low surprised him, not to talk of Fadwa.

She flicked back her tears and shook her head. She walked over to the dining table and opened the warmers, just when he picked up his phone and dialed Mamitah's number again. Maheer could see how she was pouting her lips at the same time trying swith so much aplomb to stop her tears from cascading but she was failing. He took his eyes away from her, because seeing that pout and how her golden orbs were turning into with her tears, stirred something into his heart. And for once, he felt guilty of accusing her parents of what she did. He knew he hit a nerve with that.