#4

The sound their iron door made; interrupted the conversation they were having with Majida under the illumination of the orange light of their candle. Fadwa flashed Majida a knowing look with a glint of fear, and Majida shrugged her shoulders in an attempt to make it look less frightening than it seems to all of them.

They all knew that Baffah wouldn't be back until after midnight, and having their door being creaked open at exact 9:09 pm is something they found disturbing. Ammi looked at them and made a zipper on her mouth, and they gulped back their words-waiting for the intruder.

"Assalamu Alaikum," they heard a familiar voice, as the person lifted their curtain. They all heaved a sigh out of relief a slow smile graced Fadwa's lips, still doubting why in the world Nadia would come to their house at this time of the night.

Nadia walked into the room and they saw someone tailing behind her. Before they all ask, her mother's face appeared under the illumination of their dying candle. All their faces smiled, and Ammi stood up to welcome her well.

"Umman Nadia, you're highly welcome, please. Have a seat please," she said, offering her the place she just stood up from.

Umma smiled and held Ammi's hands and they sat down together. Nadia walked up to where Fadwa was seated legs crossed and Majida was writing something on her books, very close to the candle so she could see whatever it is she's writing.

"We came here to talk!" Nadia hushed to Fadwa's earshot, in a thrilled tone that it made Fadwa faced her completely.

"About what? Haris is finally sending his parents to your house?" Fadwa asked, with the same tone laced with enthusiasm. Nadia had a boyfriend they met last year when she went to Bauchi to visit her father's sister. She had been hell-bent in love and has only one thing to talk about; Haris.

Blocking out the greeting voices of their mothers, Nadia smacked Fadwa's head softly and grinned. "No! Haris would soon send his parents tho, but that's not what I'm excited about. Just wait and hear what Umma would say to Ammi, I pray she agrees though."

Fadwa pouted her lips and looked at their mothers, the room was so small that even a single word couldn't be left out to Fadwa ears when spoken between them. Nadia opened her mouth to talk when she placed her index finger on Nadia's lips and pouted again.

Nadia smacked away her finger and hushed, "You always pout like a baby, it's no more cute to me."

Fadwa rolled her eyes and replied, using the same hushed tone, "You know that's my nature and I'm not doing it for someone to find it cute. So shoo.."

"Urgh! She did it again!" Nadia whined. Fadwa chuckled and her heart almost lost a beat at what Umma said to Ammi.

"Amin Fadwa, Abban Nadia sent me here to talk to you about something. He met us talking with Nadia about Fadwa dropping out of school and offered something we're not sure whether you would agree to. That's why he urged me to come in this night and ask you," she informed, looking at her with an expression that reads there is an intense need for her consideration.

Ammi smiled fleetingly and looked at Nadia. "Never would she let this slide. What is it, Umman Nadia? Insha Allah, I'd agree as per as it's not against our Islamic teachings." She smiled, seeing the begging look Nadia was flashing her even before she was being told what the request was.

"You know he works for a security agency right? So he was taken to a newly bought apartment in Mafia quarters. And the house owners needed a maid that would clean the house and cook for them, he had no idea whom he would assign as the maid; and then we were talking about Fadwa dropping out of school because of registration fees. We don't know if you would let her do the work?" She was hesitant at first but seeing the smile playing on Ammi's lips eased her mind, but she knew this isn't the end.