Augustus did not realize that. He only wanted to give her a small piece of knowledge.

"Can we undo this?" He was abashed. He didn't intend to place her in danger. They were not going to be pleased with him. Hopefully they would grant him mercy because he was a fairly new angel.

"No, Augustus, we cannot do anymore than what has been done." His eyes shifted to the sky. "Pray she will wake soon..."

Augustus was clasping his hands in prayer form now, walking back and forth on the bank, his robe dusting the grass. He hadn't inferred that doing this would unearth danger to her.

"But what if the demons find her here? They will try to bring her harm, Harrison!" His pace quickened, fear mounting within him. "Are we permitted to intercede then?"

Harrison watched the mortal lie down in the pirogue, unaware of the watchful eyes of evil that sensed her coming. There was a screech of an owl then. A sign of danger ahead... Its high-pitched voice carried through the bayou, vibrating off the riverbanks and bounding off every tree limb. Then instantly, it was quiet again. So soundly hushed that it was deformed and out of place at that very moment.

Both angels looked to one another, feeling the waft of wickedness consume the night.

"They are already aware she is here, Augustus," he whispered sternly. Perhaps, too firmly for a younger angel of the Powers. Augustus's eyes widened in alarm. He quickly scanned the riverbanks, and peered at the darkened areas that the light wouldn't touch.

"Wake her, Harrison!" Augustus said in desperation.

The pirogue continued on its course; the angels were only able to see the back of it now. Temperance's auburn hair floated on the tips of the murky water − drifting with the pirogue's motion, the redness of it being swallowed by the depths of the bayou.
Then without warning, the sounds blossomed again. The night was no longer quiescent with calm. It was now invaded with the lyrical song of noise.

The mocking birds began to sing again. It catapulted over everything that could be seen and unseen. The trees seemed to lift their limbs with it, as if they too were afraid of the bellows, and even the very water they claimed as their home. Augustus moved to Harrison's side immediately.

Evil had arrived...

It was dense with a rancid putrid smell, and suffocated − even the holiest of holy.

"We need the Seraphim," Augustus said urgently, not taking his vision from Temperance.

Harrison shook his head and walked further on to the darkness. "No, Augustus," Harrison corrected, his voice very controlled.

The Seraphim were the highest order of angels. They governed over all the eight other choirs. Harrison and Augustus were assigned this earthly duty by them. They didn't need them, nor did Harrison want to beseech their assistance. It would be more hassle for him in the end. They would handle this.

What they needed were the Virtues. They controlled the matters of the Earth. They could shine their light onto the dark. All the earthly elements of nature were at their command. Harrison walked to the edge of where the dark and the light met. He eyed the girl who was still unaware of those that watched and coveted her. She was still in what she believed was dream. If her gift were not failing, he was certain she could see what was about to befall her, even in the depth of dream.

"Call onto the Virtues, Augustus," Harrison said, and then he was swallowed by the awaiting darkness. It was then that he saw the demon approach the bank closer now, eyeing his prey. Augustus was not afraid, for his spirit was not made of fear, but he feared deeply for the girl. He feared that they would take what little she had left. And if such a feat were to come to pass, they would never be able to find what they all searched for. She was the last hope; the last link to the Saint.

Augustus lifted his arms up to the heavens and prayed urgently for the Virtues to shed their light, and any element of earth they see fit to bring protection to Temperance. He prayed with his mind and lips, and everything in his heart and soul. Then finally his prayer was answered. The clouds parted and the sliver of moon was unblanketed. Every star shone a bit brighter, allowing light to shed onto the dark.

"I see there is trouble here," a woman's voice spoke from behind him.

Augustus swallowed hard and turned around. The Virtue angel had arrived to remedy the situation. He looked quickly at her, and then bowed his head.

"She sees now," the Virtue proclaimed, her eyes darting to the young angel.

When he looked up again, she was no longer there, but moving at an accelerated rate that it was naked to the human eye, but he could see that she was close enough to where the mortal was.

Authors Note:

Thank you so much for reading this chapter of How Deep the Roots Go. If you enjoyed it, it would be wonderful if you could vote. Feel free to leave comments as well. I answer every one. And last of all, if you follow me, you will find out right away when there are updates or new stories.

xoxo,

M