Let's Play a Game (37)

“Are you sure you have everything?” Elizabeth asked me after she had knocked on my door. I jumped at the sound of her voice, since I wasn’t expecting it, and she only giggled at me. “Well, do you?”

I let out a sigh as I turned toward the things I had packed to take over to Kate’s house. “Yeah, I think I have everything I need.”

Elizabeth smiled at me, giving me a kind of stare I hadn’t ever seen from her before. She looked so happy for me, and that in turn made me happy as well. She was going to be my future sister-in-law, and I was glad that we had always gotten along, unlike Ethan and I had.

“I’m really glad you’re going to be officially apart of the family, Maxynn,” Elizabeth now informed me with a sweet smile. “I knew from the beginning that you were different to Zach. Not only because you rejected him, but because he was determined to get you even after you showed no interest in him.”

All I could do was smile at her. This was the girl that was dating my ex-boyfriend, but it didn’t bother me like some people would think it would. She was already like family to me and I wasn’t even married to Zach yet.

Elizabeth left for class before we could really start talking to each other, but I knew I was going to have more chances to later, so I didn’t worry about it.

When I came downstairs to see Brianna smiling at me sheepishly, I knew what she was about to say wasn’t going to be good.

“I know you’re going over to Kate’s house to spend the night,” she began, looking at all the stuff I was bringing to get ready for the wedding the next day. “But I really need to go out and run a quick errand. Steve and your father are at work, Elizabeth’s in class, and Zach already went over to Logan’s. Could you please watch Ethan for about a half an hour?”

I looked over at the younger Deveraux brother who was sitting on the couch, watching TV like he always did. Now that we were actually getting along, I didn’t really mind babysitting him. But since I was supposed to go over to Kate’s, I didn’t exactly want to have to babysit him right then. But it wasn’t like I could just say no…

So I agreed to babysit him, hoping that it wouldn’t take very long so I could go over to Kate’s house like I was supposed to.

Brianna thanked me profusely as she left to run her errand, and I then lazily plopped down on the couch beside my future brother-in-law, who continued to flip through channels.

“I don’t get why you need to be babysat,” I sighed as I watched him to continue to flip through all the channels. “You might be eleven, but you’re a hell of a lot smarter than I am. And all you ever do is watch TV.”

He merely shrugged. “It’s not like there’s anything better to do.”

He finally stopped changing the channels when he got to an old Disney movie, and I couldn’t help but smile at it. Ethan watching these kinds of things reminds me that he really was just a kid, under all the genius things he could do.

“So,” Ethan started now, not even looking away from the TV and at me. “You and Zach are getting married tomorrow.”

For some reason, my face burned. “Uh, yeah. We are.”

Ethan rolled his eyes now. “You don’t have to be embarrassed. Is there even a point to being embarrassed anymore?”

I guess he was right, but that didn’t stop me from feeling the way I did. I was more nervous than embarrassed, if you want the truth. Zach and I hadn’t even graduated, and yet we were going to get married. I knew a lot of people were looking down on us for this, but I didn’t even care what anyone else thought.