Let's Play a Game (7)

The familiar white ceiling was the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes. This caused me to groan, rubbing at my eyes before looking around to see that I was alone.

This made my eye twitch just a little bit. Wasn’t someone supposed to be in here watching me like there always was in books and movies? Why was I all alone after I had passed out in the middle of a funeral?

When the door opened, I was going to shout at the person until I saw that it was Kate, who had tears streaking down her face. When she saw that I was awake, she smiled, making her way over to my bed while wiping at her tears.

“You worried me so much!” she cried, looking like she could have hit me if I wasn’t as fragile as I was at that moment. “When you just fell down I didn’t know what to think! I thought you died or something!”

“I’m fine,” I told her, even though I didn’t know that for sure just yet. “I’m not sure what happened, but… I feel better now.”

“Zach’s mom said she thinks that you fainted because you were so hot in that dress that you were wearing,” Kate now informed me, and I looked down at my lap because I knew that that was a huge possibility. “You were sweating a heck of a lot, you know. The doctor just came and told everyone that you suffered from a heat stroke, so Mrs. Deveraux was right. It was because you were in that black dress in the sun.”

“Oh,” was all I said, feeling ashamed for doing something so stupid.

“The doctors said that none of us could come into your room while you were unconscious, so I snuck in,” Kate giggled, and this didn’t surprise me. “But since you’re awake now, I’m not really breaking the rules. I can come in now.”

That better have been the reason why no one was in the hospital room with me. I would have been pissed if there was any other reason.

My gaze immediately snapped to the burns on my arms, and I let out a sigh when I saw that they were covered by the blanket so Kate wouldn’t see them. They were the reason why I was back in the hospital; I didn’t want anyone knowing that I had them. I could only hope that they weren’t going to be permanent.

When the door opened again, I nearly hid under the covers when I saw who it was. He was definitely the last person I expected to see in my hospital room!

“Look who finally decided to wake up and join the party,” Zach smirked, still dressed in what he had worn to the funeral, only his tie was now undone as it hung around his neck. “It was getting quiet without you around, Zynn.”

I made a face at the nickname. “It was quiet with you there? What a surprise, Blanche.”

There wasn’t any other nickname I could think for him at that moment, so I just went with the general one. I could have called him by half of his name, but I was sure “Ary” wouldn’t have bothered him very much. I could have always tried it later though…

“You two are weird,” Kate concluded before Zach could say anything back to me. “These nicknames that you two call each other and the way you act are just… weird. There’s no other word to describe the two of you better.”

Zach shrugged, and I couldn’t help but agree with her just a little bit. Zach and my relationship wasn’t exactly the… healthiest it could have been. We definitely could have been nicer to each other, but it seemed almost impossible for the two of us.

“Anyway,” I drawled, pretending that I didn’t even hear what Kate had said to the two of us. “Why are you even in here, Zach? No one is allowed in here when I’m unconscious.”

“But you’re not unconscious.”

Zach!”

“I went looking for Kate,” he answered my question now, and I bit the inside of my lip. “I knew she’d be in here, but I didn’t think you’d be awake just yet.”