chapter 10

Another update! please if you think this deserves to get to the second round of the watty awards dont forget to vote! it would mean so much to me and only takes two seconds.

also, nearly done. I suspect 3 more chapters coming out next week.

***

I was sitting in Aaron’s kitchen, a cup of tea in my hand. Aaron stood by the sink, washing the dishes as he stared out into the backyard. The cold winter weather was beginning to warm with August just around the corner.

“How come I haven’t met your parents?” I asked randomly, noticing that I had never met or even heard of them.

“They are never home,” Aaron spoke softly to me; sadness weaving its way into his voice. I left the topic and the house grew silent, only the sound of dishes chinking against each other could be heard, mixing in with the soft hum of the song I was going to perform  tomorrow evening. 

“Are you nervous Opal?” Aaron asked over his shoulder, grabbing the tea towel off the oven handle and drying his hands on it.

“Hell yeah,” I finished drinking my tea and put my cup into the sink, washing it thoroughly before putting it with the other dishes.

“I would have cleaned that Opie,” Aaron smiled, picking up the cup and drying it.

I quickly splashed some water at him and smirked at the girly squeal that slipped out of his mouth.

“Don’t call me Opie,”

“You are so going to pay for that,” Aaron smiled evilly and walked slowly closer to me, the cup still in his hand. Suddenly I felt a cupful of water land on the top of my head, I squealed loudly as he went to dip the cup into the sink again.

I saw the cup in the water and began running away into the lounge room. There were a few boxes lying around still with photo frames lining the insides as I tried to find a place to hide. I could hear the footsteps of the brown haired boy around the corner as I jumped behind the couch, knocking over a box of photo frames with my foot.

Swearing under my breath I waited until I could no longer hear his footsteps before I crawled out from behind the couch, picking up the photos that I knocked on the floor.

As I was picking up the photo’s Aaron came back in, the cup of water missing from his hands. Bending down he helped me pick up the photos and place them back in the box.

Placing the photos down something caught my eye. Picking up the photo my hands began to shake.

“Are you okay Opal?” Aaron’s voice wavered slightly with worry as I turned the photo around.

“How do you know these people?” I asked, watching as Aaron’s eyes grew wider. A few drops of sweat form above his eyebrow and gradually glided down the side of his face.

“They are my parents,” He spoke softly, his eyes unable to keep contact with mine.

I looked at Aaron dumbfounded as Aaron shrugged his shoulders as if to pass it off, however, this didn’t fool me. I could see the fear, the sadness and the confusion in his eyes. I could see the torture that this boy had gone through.

“Why didn’t you tell me? My Dad was wondering what happened to you and your sister,” I asked, my voice wavering slightly as I looked at the exact photo I was studying last night.

“I didn’t think you would remember me, besides, every time I tell people that my parents were killed in a car accident people look at me with pity,”

A tear freed itself from Aaron’s eye and slid down his face, he angry swiped it away before continuing.

“I don’t want peoples pity, people be nice to me because my parents are gone, but I want people to be nice to me because they like the person who I am becoming,”

I nodded my head before crawling over to him, laying my head in his lap and awkwardly reaching around behind me to wrap my arms around him.

We laid there for half an hour, neither of us uttering a single word, leaving the house quiet.

Lying in Aaron’s arms I realised how comfortable this felt, unlike with Brad I could always feel this unnerving conflict in my mind about how I never really thought about him constantly like I do Aaron.

Suddenly it hit me like a tonne of bricks. I was falling for Aaron, and hard. I never thought that I would ever fall for someone in less than two weeks and now I knew exactly what I had to do.

“Aaron?” I spoke questioningly, trying to tread carefully with what I was about to ask.

“hmm?” Aaron muttered, sitting up slightly causing my hand to slide down his arms and placing them on my stomach.

“Come meet my dad again,” my voice barely left a whisper as I asked. I needed to know that he was going to be comfortable with my family before I made what we were growing so quickly into exclusive.

“What if he pities me?” Aaron asked. I spun around to face him, scrunching my face slightly at the thought of my dad showing pity.

“if anything Dad will tell you all the stupid stuff your father did, and by what I heard, there was a lot,”

Aaron laughed slightly, a slender smile just touching his lips.

“You can come over for dinner tonight, I need to practise for tomorrow more anyway,” I persisted, hoping that the answer would still be a yes.

Aaron let out a huge breath and sighed dramatically. “ Oh, I guess so,” Aaron smiled at me as I clapped and hugged him tightly.