"Well, here it is." Officer Bard pointed to the mansion in the distance. "See? Not really that exciting—" He startled at the sound of the passenger door opening. "Barbara? What are you doing?"

"I'm going to go inside." She peered back at him. "Now, if you could help me into my wheelchair."

His eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets. "Are you serious? That's breaking and entering! I'll lose my job if someone sees us!"

"I never said you were going in with me. I'm not stupid, and I would never put your job on the line." She started to reach for her wheelchair. "If you're not going to help me, then I'll do it myself."

"Don't be ridiculous, Barbara!" He climbed out of the car and ran to her side. "I can't let you go in by yourself!"

"Then I guess you're going to be breaking the law." She shrugged. "It's either that or you wait out here and keep watch."

He let out an exasperated sigh. "Barbara..."

"Look, if I don't come back in like thirty minutes, call for backup. Tell them I broke in."

Pressing his lips together, Officer Bard remained silent for a few seconds before finally giving in. "All right, fine." He took out the wheelchair and unfolded it for her. "You really are your father's daughter. God knows when he makes up his mind there's no use changing it."

Barbara beamed up at him, her heart fluttering at the compliment. "Thanks."

"Thirty minutes, okay?" He warned after helping her into the chair. "Trust me, I will call your dad and have the entire GCPD over here."

"I know, I know." Barbara waved him off. As she rolled through the lawn that resembled more of a field, she heard the sharp cawing of a crow from somewhere in the distant trees. Looking around for any signs of movement, she failed to notice the rock hidden in the overgrown grass and was almost lurched off her wheelchair.

"Damn it," she cursed under her breath. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. If she couldn't even make it past the lawn, how could she navigate an abandoned, decaying mansion? But before she could even think about turning back, a sudden movement near the porch caught her eye. It looked to be a figure in a trench coat and a baseball cap. But whether it was a man or woman, she couldn't tell. Until it spoke.

"Barbara!" He waved a gloved hand to her.

"Richard?" She squinted. He lifted his cap slightly, confirming his identity. "What are you doing here?"

"I thought you might come by here." He walked towards her before coming to a stop a few feet away. "And it turns out I was right."

Barbara peered to the side, seeing the speck that was Officer Bard. Could he not see what was happening? "Okay, but why did you have to come here?"

The grin he had been wearing only grew wider. "Well, from the looks of it, you need me here. You could barely make it through the grass, much less this old place."

A burning warmth crept over Barbara's cheeks, but whether it was due to her embarrassment or anger, she did not know. She hated to admit it, but he was right. She needed his help. But she wasn't going to let him know that. He was already cocky enough as it was. "Well, it would be much safer to go in with someone else."

Nodding his head, Richard went behind her and began pushing her towards the front door. When he came to the porch, Barbara figured he would struggle to lift her up onto it, but much to her surprise, he did it as if she weighed nothing at all. No groaning, no panting, nothing.

"How did you—" She whipped her head around, too befuddled to speak. "How could you—"

Richard smirked. "Don't judge a book by its cover." He motioned with his hand for Barbara to go inside. "After you."