Ice Cream

"You're getting good at this." Azrail says from beside me. "If it were me, Aggie would have thrown a tantrum as soon as I walked into the room."

"I guess it's a good thing that I'm not you then." I retort back and continue walking slowly down the hall.

I'm ringing my hands around the end of my shirt, barely even registering what Azrail might be saying to me. I'm feeling incredibly confused now after my visits with Olly, Gilah and Aggie. Not because I don't know why I'm doing this but because I do and I feel achingly guilty. I shouldn't be feeling guilty for these people and it's confusing the hell out of me. At first, I thought it was remorse that I felt in the pit of my stomach but as I journey to the next room, I realize that is not the case.

It's weird really. My mind should be weighing more towards fear or anger but somehow, I'm not scared nor angry. At least, I'm not anymore. I was so mad at Gilah; terrified of Atlas, and now? Nothing but guilt.

Sure, they kidnapped me but I can't help but think of the times that they were kind to me or made me laugh. Atlas did some pretty shitty things... and I'm not angry at him for it anymore. The shock of the situation has finally worn off.

I stop mid step in the hall way and cautiously look up at Azrail, who has stopped walking but his mouth still runs on. Once he notices me staring at him, he cuts himself off and gives me a wide smile.

"What's up, buttercup? You a little worried about who you have to visit next?" He asks tauntingly.

"No, it's not that."

"Okay, what is it then?"

"I-I don't know if want to do this anymore." I blurt out. "In all honesty I can see the point in tricking Atlas but all your other siblings? They didn't do anything wrong. Maybe I should-"

"Maybe you should what?" He spits out, his demeanor changes to something more malicious. He begins to take deliberate steps towards me. "Huh, mon âme? *step* What are you *step* going to do? *step* Because as far as I'm concerned," he is now right in front of me, his hot breath tangling with my own. "You gave me your word. And I don't take too kindly to little bitches who go back on their promises."

"Stop it Azrail." I say as strongly as my meek voice will allow.

"Stop?" He grabs onto my shoulders and roughly shoves me into the wall behind me, sending a shock of pain through my back to the tips of my toes. "I haven't even done anything yet." He leans in close his -I now realize- foul stinking breath drifting in my nose. "I am not Atlas nor Oleander, mon âme. I won't dilly dally... I'll just kill you."

"Then why don't you?" I spit back in his own face.

He backs off a little, his eyebrows twisting together in confusion. "What?" He asks.

"Why don't you?" I say and shove him away from me. "The entire time that I've been here I have been filled to the brim with lies and empty promises. You may think you are different then your siblings but from where I'm standing you are all exactly the same. You do everything for your own personal gain; never caring if it might hurt the others around you. It's sickening, and the worst part about it is that you've dragged me into the same game."

"I haven't "dragged" you into anything, Avianna. You chose to say yes, you chose to lie and deceive my idiotic siblings. And why do you care if you hurt them anyway? They kidnapped you! I would think that that would compel you even more so to betray them. Might as well be you to hurt them, karma will bite them in the butt someday." He tells me, pacing on his feet and clenching his fists tightly.

"You and me have two very different ideas of karma. I believe that if you do good you get good but if you do bad you deserve a lesson; not pain."

He laughs and rubs his hands over his face. "You're really something else." He steps forward again and invades my personal bubble, holding my chin with his fingers. "Just get the job done. You've already come this far... and I'll make sure you rot here forever if you don't."