The Question

"Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention?"

Teddie glanced around to find Harry and Ron sitting at the back of the Transfiguration classroom. The lesson had just ended, and Professor McGonagall had been in the middle of explaining some event that was happening around Christmas, all she knew so far was that it had something to do with the Triwizard Tournament.

The explanation had been interrupted as McGonagall noticed two of her Gryffindors messing around rather than paying attention.

"Now that Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age," said Professor McGonagall, with an angry look towards the back of the room. "I have something to tell you all. The Yule Ball is approaching -"

"The what?" several students echoed.

"It is a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament," said McGonagall. "It is also an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests."

Teddie shared a look with her friends. Didn't they socialise enough with Durmstrang and Beauxbatons? The two schools had been at Hogwarts for nearly two months already, they had interacted with Hogwarts at mealtimes, and on the weekends, what more could they do?

"Now, the ball will be open to only fourth-years and above - although you may invite a younger student if you wish -"

McGonagall found Teddie's gaze. The young Slytherin had a feeling that McGonagall was talking about Mason, without actually saying his name.

"Dress robes will be worn," McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight, in the Great Hall. Now then -"

McGonagall stared deliberately around the room.

"The Yule Ball is, of course, a chance for us all to - er - let our hair down, sort to speak, but that does not mean that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will most be seriously displeased if a student embarrasses this school in any way."

The bell rang, and there was the usual scuffle of activity as everyone packed their bags and headed for the door.

"Potter," McGonagall called over the noise. "A word, please?"

Harry hung back as the rest of his class filed out of the room, his friends following along behind them.

Outside the classroom, Daphne turned to Teddie. "That would explain why mum took me dress shopping at the end of the summer," she said.

"And why Ursula bought me a new dress," said Teddie, nodding.

"Why did McGonagall look at you when she mentioned younger students, Ted?" Blaise asked. "Do you plan on asking someone younger?"

Teddie shook her head. "I think she was talking about Mason," she answered. "You know how important Christmas is to me and him. We always spend it together."

"Well, you can't ask your brother to the dance," said Daphne. "That would be odd, not to mention disturbing."

Teddie smiled. "Yeah, but he's only twelve, I don't see how he can attend otherwise," she said.

"I could always ask him," said Daphne.

"What about Astoria?"

Daphne looked around at Blaise and Theo. "One of you could take her," she suggested. "I mean, it doesn't have to be an official thing, right? Unless, of course, you both planned on asking someone?"

Blaise looked at Theo and then shook his head. "I don't mind taking her," he said. "We're all planning on being together all night, right? Like a group thing?"