The Snowball Tradition

"Take this."

"What is it?"

"It explains everything that has happened, and what will happen in the future."

"Are you sure you want her to know?"

"She deserves to know, but only when she is ready. Before then, she will not understand."

"But, mum -"

"Now, go. Go!"

~X~

Mason looked up as a groan came from the bed beside him. He was sat in the Hospital Wing after the Slytherin vs. Gryffindor Quidditch match. Outside the window, the rain still lashed, but he didn't care at this point. His attention was more focused on his semi-conscious sister that had been attacked, again, by a Dementor.

"Ted?"

Teddie opened her eyes and then closed them again. She felt a slight pressure behind them, and even though the Hospital Wing was dimly lit, it didn't seem to be helping.

After a few minutes, Teddie opened her eyes again.

Mason sighed in relief and instantly threw himself at Teddie, hugging her. "Oh, thank Merlin..." he cried.

"It's okay, Mason," Teddie said, reassuringly. She winced as Mason squeezed her, but she pushed it aside as she hugged Mason back.

The two parted as Madam Pomfrey arrived.

"Welcome back," the nurse said, smiling. She swept around to Teddie's left side and placed a bottle on the bedside table, along with an empty tumbler.

Teddie forced a smile and tried to sit up.

"Careful, Miss Green," Madam Pomfrey said, putting a hand on Teddie's shoulder and pushing her back down. "You've taken a rather bad hit to the head. Here, drink this..."

She pushed the tumbler into Teddie's hands and helped her raise it to her lips. Bracing herself for the worst, Teddie tipped the liquid back into her mouth, grimaced, but swallowed quickly.

"Good girl," Madam Pomfrey praised. "I'll be back to check on you in a while." She paused in her leaving and turned to Teddie's friends. "Do not overexert her. She needs her rest."

The group nodded.

Once Madam Pomfrey had left them, Teddie sighed and looked around at the others. "I'm going to take a guess and say Dementor attack," she said.

"Yeah, which is a surprise, really," said Daphne.

"Why do you say that?" Teddie asked.

"Because they aren't allowed to come inside the grounds," said Daphne. "Dumbledore was furious as he sent them off."

"You should have seen his face when he realised two students had been attacked," said Blaise. "If looks could kill, or even if Dementors could be killed, that is."

Teddie furrowed her brow in confusion. "Two students?" she repeated. "Who else was attacked?"

"Potter," said Theo. "He was attacked mid-flight."

It was then Teddie realised Theo was shaking. Gingerly, she reached over and took his hand, squeezing it.

"I saw it," said Theo. "Potter was right in front of me. He was reaching for the Snitch when a black mass knocked him straight from his broom. I tried to grab onto him, but he slipped from my grasp."

"It's not your fault, Theo," said Teddie. "You tried that's the main thing. Harry will understand, so will the rest of Gryffindor."

Theo took a deep breath and squeezed Teddie's hand back.