Business: How Do I Get An Agent?

Start from the beginning

And what should you do if you fall between those two points? 

Well, I think you should write a different book.

See, agents aren't just here for a one-and-done with their clients. They want to represent your entire career, and that means multiple projects spread over many years. You're going to have to write multiple books over your career, and this is the time to start. Create book that has nothing to do with your Wattpad one, and make sure it's a strong one.

And that Wattpad story? Mention it in your cover letter to the agent and cite the number of views, comments, and votes you've gotten on it. Use it as proof that people already like your work. Later, down the road, when you have an agent and you guys have a good working relationship set up, that is when you mention that Wattpad story again. Ask them if they'd be interested in reading it, maybe seeing if there's some potential for money-making there.

Your agent may say yes, they may say no. Heck, maybe the announcement of your publishing deal will have skyrocketed your Wattpad story's popularity and you might be a Star or in Paid Stories by then. You can't be sure what will happen to that story, but it's always nice to keep it on Wattpad so people interested in your forthcoming book have a chance to sample your storytelling style.

Of course, this is just what I would do. If you feel that you'd try a different route, that's up to you.

So how does this all work?

Write a novel. Edit and polish that novel within an inch of it's life. You can do this with a professional editor, or with critique partners, or beta readers, whatever suits you and your process the best. Just make sure that the novel is 1) complete, and 2) the best version of itself. You only get to make a first impression once; make sure it's a good one.

Write your Pitch Package. (My next chapter will cover everything that should be in your package). This will include the cover letter that you submit along with your manuscript, and should be equally as polished as your book. 

Research which agents you want to submit to. You can find info in the agency guides that are published each year in your country, as well as on websites like DuoTrope, Absolute Write, and Writer Beware. Read industry publications like your local Writer's Guild/Union magazine and newsletter, or Publishers Weekly. I also went to the bookstore and wrote down the names of all the authors who were writing books like mine - SF/F, Queer, near-future spec, very thinky - and then went home and researched who their agents were. Social media has also made this so much easier than it was when I was first looking for an agent, because now you can see how those agents communicate, what sorts of things are important to them, and can even have little interactions with them prior to submitting. 

Research which agents you want to submit to more. I cannot stress this enough - read their website and blog. Make sure they are even open to new submissions. Make extra sure they represent what you write (i.e.don't send your western romance to an agent who only does space opera). Figure out if their agency shares submissions between all the agents or if you can query another agent in the practice if one doesn't offer. Know who their other clients are and the kinds of deals they've gotten through thier agents. 

Submit. Agents prefer that you submit to them one at a time so that they have the chance to read your work without outside pressures. I did it a few at a time, tracking them on an Excel sheet that listed all of the things they wanted in each submission, and more importantly, recorded their feedback. When the same feedback was given more than three times, I took a long hard look at the book, did some revisions to address the issue, and resumed sending the book out.