Business: How Do I Protect My Copyright

Most of the most frequent questions I get as a published author are about copyright. What is it, how does an author protect it, and what is it good for?

Before I dive into this topic, I want to clear up a pair of definitions, which are very important for you as a writer to know.

Intellectual Property – (I often refer to this as an IP) – This is the idea that you own. It is the world, the characters, the concepts, the narrative that you created. IPs are intangible in essence, but can be written down as a Manuscript, a Screenplay, a invention design, etc.

A Book – A book is the product that the publisher (either a traditional publisher or you, as your own self-publisher) creates using your Intellectual Property. A book is a physical or electronic thing that is bought and sold, and has things like a cover, images, and typesetting. The content of the book is your IP.

Copyright - the legally binding ownership of an IP.

So for example: I hold the copyright on the Intellectual Copyright known as Triptych. I own the characters Basil Grey, Gwen Pierson and Kalp, and the concepts of an Aglunate and Unit from my novel Triptych, and the particular world narrative that I wrote. 

Short Fuse is the publisher of the ebook. I am the publisher of the paperback and hardcover books.

Short Fuse does not own the IP but does have the exclusive contractual right to publish ebooks of Triptych, as per the agreement we signed together.

If for some reason Short Fuse decides it doesn't want to publish Triptych ebooks any more, or I decide to part ways from them, then the IP goes with me and they have no permission to publish Triptych any longer, in any format, including a new one that hasn't been invented yet. However, I have no rights to say what they do with those copies of Triptych that already exist.

Simply put: The IP is mine. The ebook is theirs, and they pay me for the right to make money off of my IP in the form of royalty cheques.

What is Copyright Good For?

TLDR: It makes sure you get paid.

If you have solid proof of ownership of your ideas, then there is also clear paperwork stating that when the idea makes money (as a book, as a film, as merchandise, as a Wattpad Paid Story), a portion - if not all - of that money rightfully belongs to you. That is, of course, depending on how your royalties and contracts are laid out. (See my earlier chapter "How Do Writers Get Paid?" for more info on how those numbers work). 

It also protects you in cases of plagiarism, either if someone has stolen your work, or you are accused of stealing someone else's.

?

 Right, on to the frequently asked questions!

Q: Is some editor or agent going to steal my ideas or my work when I submit to them?

This is the number one question I get. Thing is, if an editor or publisher likes your idea, they'll sign it, not steal it. Their only job is to make their clients/authors/publishing house money, and if it's a good money-making idea, they'll want to publish it.

Editors and agents only make money when you, their author, makes money i.e. when your book is published, and that book sells. 

They are generally not writers themselves, and usually have no desire to be a writer. 

And they won't ever make any money if it gets out that they've stolen someone's ideas – they will be blacklisted, and boycotted, and will never work again. They'll be drummed out of the industry.