XIX | Worst Distance : Misunderstanding

Isabelle didn't utter a word but continued to knock hard on the door. Suddenly, the door in front swung open and her hand froze in the air. She lowered her head silently for a whole half a minute, before raising it up. She saw a well-dressed Alexander standing before her. His brows were creased, and his eyes carried a hint of astonishment, like he wondered how she had followed him to here.

Isabelle stood motionlessly on the spot, staring into his eyes for a while. Then her eyes fell to his shoulders and into the room, where she discovered two glasses of red wine on the table, a pack of cigarettes, and Alexander's jacket randomly chucked on the sofa.

Her pitch-black pupils quivered, before looking up again at Alexander's deep, beautiful eyes.

Neither one spoke. Instead, they quietly stared at one another.

Isabelle didn't know how much time had passed when the sound of high heels came from behind Alexander and a familiar voice, was heard. "Alex, who is it?"

When the last syllable fell, Isabelle saw the blonde woman in the long red dress walk over from inside the room. She recognized her from first glance. It was clearly the woman Alexander had taken to dinner in America!

Could it be that she had never given up on him even after learning that she was pregnant with Alexander's baby? Had she chased him all the way?

The instant Lucy spoke, Alexander snapped back to reality.

Wasn't Isabelle asleep? How had she follow him to the Four Seasons Hotel? That wasn't the point... It was the middle of the night, and he was in a room with someone of the other sex...

Suddenly, a hint of panic emerged beneath Alexander's eyes. He nervously cried out, "Izzy..."

Before he could finish, Isabelle, who stood in front of him like a statue looked like she was provoked by something. Her body started to tremble lightly. Then, the next second, she abruptly grabbed onto his hand, as though she was afraid that what he said next would shatter her. She beat him to it and said, "Alexander, why did you leave by yourself? I didn't dare sleep on my own."

In a situation like this, normally speaking, shouldn't the woman hysterically hit or curse?

Why was Isabelle's reaction so strange?

Alexander had clearly not done anything to let her down, but in that moment, he'd completely lost her trust. "Izzy, listen to me. Lucy and I..."

Lucy looked at the scene before her in confusion, then at Alexander and asked, "Alex?"

As though Lucy's voice had set Isabelle off, she suddenly screamed the words, "Alexander, I want to go home!"

As her voice dropped, she jumped into Alexander's arms. She hugged his neck like a little girl, whining in a low and pitiful voice, "Home... home... Alexander, let's go home. Please?"

"Alright, alright," he responded, afraid that she would lose it again. He didn't even grab his jacket, as he hurriedly left Lucy with a "Sorry" behind him. He immediately stretched his arms out and carried Isabelle with big strides towards the elevators.

On the way down, Isabelle looked like she was afraid of something, for her body trembled in his arms. As she hugged his neck, she wouldn't stop gripping harder onto him as the time went on. When they reached the final floor, Alexander's breathing was a little irregular, yet he didn't dare say something to remind her.

Just as he carried her out of the hotel's lobby, Isabelle suddenly spoke. "Alexander, start up the car. I'm going to the toilets."

"I'll carry you." When he said this, he turned around, about to rush over to the lobby's restrooms.