The Monk and The Sorcerer

Author's Note: The first actual story in this book.  As with the other stories I posted today, I edited them on my own, and feedback is appreciated.

Description: Xisuma meets Grian.

X, Mumbo, and Iskall were searching the dark forest near the town of Qua'mazan for a dark wizard's dungeon. No one was sure if this band would find the dungeon and stop the dark wizard from kidnapping every sorcerer that lives in the town (none of them even had armor and the one with the mustache only had a cursed gray tolm he said he would use as a weapon), but the monk, the warlock, and the barbarian were the only ones crazy enough to do it.

The trio was just about to give up when they saw two human-sized figures about 80 feet ahead of them on the path carrying something. The figures were wearing chain shirts, the silvery rings casting rippling glints from the sunlight slipping through the trees. On their heads were horned helmets, which Iskall scoffed at, thinking they were mere decorations that would only need one swing of his great axe to break. They each held a shield depicting a dark cauldron filled with a dark green liquid on the front in one hand. In the other hand, between the both of them, they carried an unconscious halfling with black hair and navy blue leather armor. They stopped where they were and shouted at the group. "Move along, nothing to see here."

X moved to the front of the group. "By chance, do either of you fine gentlemen work for the evil wizard in the dungeon in these woods?"

"We ain't telling any of you. Now beat it, before we have to beat you."

The trio looked at each other and nodded. Iskall and X charged at the men, who cursed and raised their shields in preparation. They would need more than a shield, though, as Mumbo heald his book tightly in one hand and shot out a beam of cracking energy out of his other hand, straight over X's head beaming the guard on the right side with a considerable amount of magical force. Once X and Iskall got closer, they engaged the guards. Xisuma attacked the one Mumbo hit with his Eldritch Blast and hit the guard with agile monk martial arts, knocking him out before going to punch the other guard. The monk took the unconscious halfling and ran back to his warlock friend, confusing the guard until he saw a barbarian's great axe coming right at his face. The guard took the spear with his now free hand and stabbed Iskall in the side. Iskall responded with another swing of his axe.

"The Kind of Damage strikes again!" Iskall shouted, pumping his fists in the air.

"Well, can the King of Damage do something useful like tying those guys to a tree, so they can't go back and tell their master we're here?" Xisuma retorted.

Iskall shot back something wildly inappropriate, and Mumbo was tempted to shout "That's what she said," but decided against it and turned back to the injured halfling.

"How is he?" Mumbo asked as X was examining the little guy.

"He'll live," X replied after checking his vitals. He then went on to get a better idea of his condition. "but I don't think he should go right back into adventuring when he wakes up. They broke an arm and a leg, and I don't think a health potion is really gonna help with that."

Mumbo looked at the small adventurer, noticing all the cuts and bruises all over his body and thought about just how painful some of those might look. "Do you think a health potion would help with the pain at least?"

"I don't think it will hurt him."

Just then Iskall walked over to the group. "Just got done tying the guys to trees. How's the little guy?"

"Stable," X said. "We should probably rest for a bit. Then we'll decide what we do from there."

The other two agreed and carried the injured halfling off to the side of the path. X followed them to the resting spot where he climbed a tree to meditate while Iskall tended to the spear wound and Mumbo gave the halfling a potion.