Chapter 3

I continued replaying everything I'd seen over and over again in my mind as I drove away. I didn't even know where I was driving us; I just changed directions every time I saw one of those beasts. The sounds in the car were like a washed-out buzzing and I could barely understand anything said. The radio chanted on with news about the zombies and survival tips, and I'd have to change channels every now and then as zombies would get into stations and pure horror would be the only thing broadcasted by them. Once again, the channel currently playing over the radio was interrupted by a loud groan, then another, and another. 

I wanted to change the channel so badly, but some sick sort of curiosity made me stay tuned, hoping to find out what would become of the broadcasters. The woman, whom I had come to recognize as "Debra Hold", immediately began to panic, wailing that they were supposed to have security holding back the undead. Layla began to cry from the sound of the woman in hysteria. One of the two men, Bill, began to freak out as well; the woman's hysteria encouraging his own. The last man, John, clearly frightened but not in hysterics, encouraged them to calm down and leave the room through another door. They began to formulate a plan, the fact that they were broadcasting now forgotten by them. Just as they were beginning to put their plan into action, the sound of glass shattering came over the speakers. Tyler, Dad, and I all gasped, knowing what was about to become of the three. John yelled at Debra and Bill to climb down the rope they'd made of wires and cloth out the window. The sound of them shuffling down the makeshift escape rope as John held it made us all hope that they would escape.

The next thing heard was John's screams and the now sickeningly familiar sound of flesh being torn from bones. Tyler started crying and holding Layla to his chest, and I could feel a tear sliding down my cheek as well. John must've dropped the cord because Bill screamed, presumably being dropped five stories. I hoped at least Debra made it out.

Tyler looked over to me and silently begged me to change the channel. I did.

I had gotten to this new channel about ten minutes ago and already tuned it out. It was the same thing, over and over, just like the other channels were saying: "Stay safe," "Don't go to crowded areas", "Stay indoors", "Make sure you have enough food for a week", etcetera when something caught my attention. "And if you're seeking shelter, we advise you to head for Edwards Airforce Base or Fort Irwin, as they've both been set up to give refuge to those fleeing danger."

That had my immediate interest.

"Tyler," I said, hoping to get his attention. He looked over and tilted his head as if to ask me what I wanted. I asked, "What do you say we head to that place they just mentioned? They're both military bases, so they ought to be safe from these things." He nodded and pulled out his phone, opening the Google Maps app. I told him to look up Fort Irwin first, and he told me it was at least three hours away by all three routes. So I told him to look for Edwards Airforce Base, and he typed it in, then bounced slightly, making Layla whine and wiggle around to get comfy again.

"That one's just a couple hours away!" He said. I could hear the excitement in his voice.

I swerved to avoid yet another walking dead man. There were so many here, so many abandoned cars and frightened people running. With a population a bit higher than four million people, the areas around Los Angeles were complete chaos. Yet, there was an eerie calm inside the van; as if we had already become desensitized. A zombie lunged at us and began shuffling after us as we continued, and I followed it with my eyes as we passed it. That calm quickly faded as I gasped, gaining the attention of my brother and father. We all looked back in horror to see an entire horde following us. Panic filled my heart at the sight of the mass, and I sped up the car. I could hear my father and brother's breathing speed up as well, swiftly turning into my brother hyperventilating and hugging Layla tightly. Layla whined and batted him away with her chubby little hands, unintentionally knocking sense into her older brother. He slowed his breathing down and started to focus on distracting dad.