Kiss Me

Tony invited actually everyone he's ever met to Stark Tower for this so called 'epic' New Years Eve party he was insisting on hosting, just as he does every year. The only problem for me was that I barely knew anyone. Hell, neither did Steve. It felt like we were surrounded by strangers.

"Steve, d'you know any of these people that I should maybe remember but really, really don't?"

"Yea, ummm..." he waited and looked around for someone to remind me of. "Oh, over there. See that brunette woman with Thor? That's Jane. They're kind of together, I think. Ummmm, and, uh... oh, over there with Tony, the ginger woman, tha-"

"Pepper. I know Pepper. And if I hadn't ever met her, I'd probably at least recognize her from how often Tony talks about her," I said.

"Right," he chuckled.

We spent the night just sort of mingling amongst the crowd of random people. Eating little snacks and drinking together, Bucky and I. It all just sort of felt like it was never ending.

That was, until, the champagne made its way out. I looked out the window to see all the people gathered around Times Square to watch the Ball drop. Stark Tower was just tall enough for us to be able to see all the lights and endless amounts of people. Steve pointed over at the TV, which had also been tuned in to Times Square.

The clock on the screen showed 11:59.

How had the time gone so quickly? It feels like my whole life has passed me by and, yet, I'm still young.

He looked at me with eager eyes like he wanted me to do or say something.

Feeling like the time had flown by, these last ten seconds almost moved in slow motion.

10

I looked around the room to see what everyone else was doing.

9

They all looked around at one another like there was this sort of unspoken excitement to start anew... to start of this New Year like a new person.

8

Hell, I know what it's like too start over as a new person. Is that really what they want?

7

I looked over at Steve who was cheerfully counting down with the rest of them with his eyes flickering between the TV, the window and me.

6

I smiled to myself, realizing that this year would be the year I could finally make myself the person I've always wanted to be. I'm in control over the changes I might, or might not, make.

5

I looked over at Tony, who wasn't even bothered by me atcha the moment. Maybe this year, he'll learn that I'm not the person he thinks I am.

4

Clint and Natasha were 'hidden' in the back of the room past the bar where they thought no one could see them. The way he looked at her was seemingly reflective of how I felt when I looked at Steve.

3

Why would they want to hide that incredible feeling? Well, Steve does, doesn't he?

2

I looked at him, but he was already looking at me. The smile fell from his face as he stopped counting and focused all of his attention on me. He took my champagne glass and put both of ours down on the little table that was near us.

1

Everyone shouted Happy New Year! as loud as they could. I saw as Thor kissed Jane and Pepper kissed Tony and Clint kissed Natasha. Even random strangers kissed and hugged one another with the spirit of the New Year ringing in our ears.

2015, a year for change.

"Kiss me," Steve said, bringing my attention back in on him.

I stopped and nearly hesitated, but before I could even think to ask him if he was sure he knew what he was asking me to do, it was already too late.

I grabbed his waist and pulled him into my body, smiling at him as he smiled at me. Our lips met and it was like no one else was there. I didn't care if they saw us, not that I even knew any of them anyway.

This was a step in the right direction, I thought to myself as he pulled away from my lips after what felt like minutes upon minutes.

"Well, well, well," Natasha said as she approached us with Clint at her side.

Steve and I looked at one another and started laughing almost immediately as a result of what had happened last night.

"Congratulations, you guys. I knew you'd do this eventually... Happy 2015!" She said, walking away from us.

"She knew, Steve. She definitely knew the whole time," I told him as I held him in my arms.

"Yea. Definitely," he replied, kissing me again.

It felt like we were finally free. Like we'd left everyone in the room speechless.

~ James_BuchananBarnes ~