Forty-eight

The smoke is all over the car, and embers start flicking before us. We pull back in unison, and he wraps me into his arms. We both cough from the smoke, watching our parents through the broken windows. The car is flipped upside-down. I cry and hiccup.

"Mom. Dad." I cry again and try to follow them.

And all of a sudden, like something from the movie, we hear a deafening sound, heavy and horrid. The rude boy pulls me back immediately and the car explodes right in front of my eyes. We scream loudly, holding each other tightly.

"Nooooo!" I scream and bolt frantically from my sleep.

"Kira!" Liam calls and flips the lamp swiftly.

"Liam." I gasp for air as if I've been locked up tight in a bottle for a century

"Yes, my love. I'm here," he whispers, and I feel him restraining me in his arms as if I run away if he doesn't. "Calm down, you're safe here." He rubs my back gently, soothing me.

"I—" I cough, drenched in sweat, and my heart is racing uncontrollably.

"Shh, calm down, baby. It was just a bad dream," Liam says gently.

"Please hold me. Don't leave me," I plead, and he tightens his warm embrace.

I'm trembling and it's freezing in this room.

"Relax, my love, I'm right here." Liam kisses my forehead, securing my body closely to his side.

"I'm cold," I whisper.

Liam pulls the covers and binds us together. I cling hard onto him as he caresses my naked back smoothly.

"Another bad dream?" he finally asks. Another? What does he mean? "You know it's the second time you're screaming in your sleep, Kira."

"Really?" I croak.

"Yes. It happened in Montana when I slept in your room, but not as bad as this. Is there something you want to tell me about your nightmares?"

I close my eyes while taking in some air. "Yes, there is."

"What is it?" Liam breathes, sounding calm yet stirred, so eager to hear the answer without any rush.

"But not right now, Liam. I'm just—"

"It's fine, Kira. You can tell me whenever you're ready, okay?"

"Okay." I don't think I'm ready to talk about that night.

"Good. Now try to sleep," he says gently and we remain silent for a good while until I decide to ask him something.

"Liam," I start, "has Mrs. Eleanor ever been into an accident?"

"My mother?" Liam sits straight, gazing at me through the slight moonlight that's probably shining bright outside. "No, I don't think so. I've never heard her say such a thing. I'm sure she hasn't. But why?"

Because the woman I apprehended in my dream looked a lot like her. In fact, she was exactly like her. Did I just imagine it? But why Eleanor of all people?

"Nothing. I think I'm losing my mind." I decide to hide the facts for now.

Of course it's crazy. That woman died on the spot, and Liam's mother is very much alive. However, I can't help but wonder about the boy who saved my life. I wonder what happened to him afterwards, because I couldn't see him when I woke up in the hospital.

"Hey, you're drifting away from me." Liam cups my face, looking worried. "What's wrong, honey?" he questions.

"Honey?" I huff a soft laughter, my mood lifted up.