Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers

Start from the beginning

I chuckle under my breath. "Yep, that's me."

"Please accept my apologies. I had no idea."

This causes me to chuckle some more, never liking when people begin talking to me as if I'm a royal. I found out I'm related to one, that doesn't make me one of them. "Please, don't apologise. I wouldn't have told you that I was."

"Because you do not wish to be royal?" She asks, gaining a confused glance from me. "We've heard about you, is all. There's not much but rumours. I can only presume you haven't lived in Camelot for long."

"No, I haven't. And no, I do not wish to be royal," I admit.

We turn down another stone hallway. "It must be lovely, though. Finding your family," Mithian wonders, looking to me with bright, curious eyes.

"I suppose it is."

"Have you and Arthur become close?" Mithian asks.

If it were anyone else being so nosey with my life, I would give them a good reason to shut the hell up. But because it's Mithian, I don't want to hurt Arthur in any way. I know she is just curious and young, that I can tell. I imagine she's only trying to understand the life she will soon be living. To get to know everything about her future husband.

"I would like to think so", I answer truthfully. "I can tell he's already taken a shining to you."

"You think so?"

I smirk. "Oh, trust me, he has."

Mithian blushes red, her face still just as beautiful with the red splotches, if not more. "I wasn't too sure I wanted to get married just yet", Mithian admits. "I've been worried ever since my Father had told me I was betrothed to Arthur Pendragon. I don't want to let my Father down...I want to make this marriage work for both our kingdoms. Save both from an unnecessary war."

I frowned, surprised that the princess would be so open with a woman she had only just met. I find myself respecting the princess. Most women of her status spend their whole lives dreaming about the day of their wedding. Yet here, Mithian is only choosing to marry because she wishes to make her father proud and save the people of both Kingdoms a war. I respect that, believing that we need more women to be strong and worthy of leadership.

"You have a firm head on your shoulders", I comment, looking at the young woman over. "There's no need to be worried. Arthur is a great king and will be a fine husband. You're very heroic for choosing so. You're Father will be proud no matter what."

As soon as I say the words, I feel a wave of emotion. I'm guilty of urging a girl to marry Arthur when there is a woman out there who should be in her place. My friend. I'm hurting Gwen by simply being okay with Mithian marrying Arthur. Then there is my comment about her father being proud. How am I to know if that is true?

I never knew my own, and the one I did have never sort to place such burdens upon me. How am I one to judge that?

"Thank you for your kind words, Edythe", Mithian acknowledges.

I didn't even realise that we had reached our destination, my mind wondering about Gwen. Her lingering presence has left me in a bad mood for socialising or being in a room full of people.

"I hope we will have the chance to speak some more?" Mithian requests, turning to face me.

I catch Arthur's eyes from across the room, a bright smile on his face at seeing our association. Seeing Arthur reminds me that I need to accept that Gwen is in the past, that Mithian is Camelot's future queen. This will make him happy, so I will not ruin it.

I force a smile. "Of course. You have a good night, Princess" I bow.

I try to stay present in the room, my mind else, whereas everyone celebrates Mithian's arrival. I can't help but stare at Arthur and Mithian, the two getting along fine. The two have chemistry. It makes me thrilled to see Arthur as himself again. The King has been hiding behind his authority for so long. I know that I'll get used to the couple, and once I talk with Mithian more, I'll grow to forget that Gwen had left an emptiness.