5.6 | RECONCILIATION.

Chapter dedication: CoffeeCommunity

Song of recommendation for the chapter: STAY - RIHANNA FT. MIKKY EKKO.🎶🎧🎧🎧.

*

Lee smiled tentatively at the stunned look on Chris' face. She couldn't decide if it was a good or bad thing.

After she was discharged from the hospital that morning, she'd explained her plans to Sutton; she and Carson arrived to pick her up. Neither of them were pleased about it, but they wisely kept their protests to themselves. Sutton made Lee promise to call her if something went wrong between she and Chris, after driving her to his house.

"Can I come in?" Lee asked.

That seemed to snap Chris out of his trance state. He moved aside, leaving the door wide open. "Of course, please come in."

"Thank you."

Lee stepped past him and entered the house. She sighed when the familiar smell of the house wrapped around her. She really missed the place and the peace she felt during her brief visits to Chris.

Chris followed her as she went to sit on the white sofa. She secretly smiled when he fidgeted; his body swaying to and fro, his hands clasped tightly in his lap. He stared at her. The surprised look still lingered on his face.

"Can I get you anything?"

"Water is fine."

He practically ran into the kitchen to get it. Lee bit her lip, wondering how they went from lovers to strangers real fast and made small talks. She supposed that she had herself to blame. Chris wasn't the one who broke things off without a warning.

Chris returned with a bottled sparkling water, her favourite water, and handed it to her. Lee remembered stacking his fridge with the water after they went shopping a day before everything fell apart.

Lee broke the seal, unscrewed the cap, and tipped the bottle back as she raised it to her lips. The cool water slid down her throat, quelling her nerves. After she was satisfied, Lee screwed the cap back on and placed the plastic on the coffee table.

"How have you been?" Chris asked, his fingers entwined on his lap.

It was her turn to be surprised with the way he was acting. Lee half expected that she would be the one to initiate a conversation. "I am better than I've ever been. You?"

"Fine, I guess." He bit his lower lip for a minute, then released the abused flesh with a sigh. "I came to the hospital when I heard you were hospitalized, but I got into a fight with Sutton's husband and had to leave before things got out of hand."

"I know." Lee smiled at him, hoping it would ease his nerves a little. "Please sit down, Chris. You don't have to be afraid of me."

Chris sat on the opposite end of the couch and while the action pained Lee, she thought she couldn't blame him. The last time they saw each other, she'd told him to get out of her life, treated him poorly. She did the same thing he-whose-name-shall-forever-remain-unspoken did to her. Which wasn't nice or fair to a loving man like Chris.

"I am sorry—"

"It's my—"

They spoke simultaneously, then they froze, eyes widened as they took in each other. Lee saw the hopeful look beneath that scared expression. She wanted to bring it back to life.

"You go first—"

"You go first—"

They broke off again, when they spoke at the same time. It was weird, but not in a bad way. It meant they were on the same page here. They stared at each other for few minutes, then they started laughing. Chris seemed to relax a little then. He even leaned into the sofa, his shoulders slumping as if the weight of the world had been resting on them were suddenly lifted.