"Can you please start from the moment you two met?" Agent Valentine asked.

So I did, beginning from those first few messages we exchanged, all the way up until our date. Recounting the story made all those feelings of terror flood back. It reminded me of when I had to hash it out for the FBI for Agent Backstrom and Agent Trotz. She had been so kind to me during the interview, even though I was being combative, and yet, she had met the fate she deserved. She must've known all that time was Kris was capable of, and was laughing  with Taylor about me. I wondered about Agent Trotz sometimes, and whether he'd be brought back for this case. He'd been assigned the case when Kris escaped, he might just finish this once and for all. But he was also too close to the case, he didn't even see his partner for who she truly was. 

I went through the 6 months that he held me captive, and how he hadn't let me shower for three months for trying to escape. I detailed what life was like living in the doll room, and how my brief decent into madness made me talk to them.

It helped pass the time, especially when that was all I had on my hands, was time.

The agents and Calvin took diligent notes as the recorder noted every single word I said. There was a mirror on the left side of the room and I knew that there were other people there. I was like a display, the wife of the most notorious serial killer of this millennium.

I knew that bringing Kris in would mean notoriety for Agent Valentine and Agent Porter and infamy for me and my children. I would have no protection, my face would be all over the media. Those thoughts sealed my lips.

They FBI wouldn't protect me. My face would leak to the media and being put into witness protection would mean nothing.

Agent Valentine reached out, patting the empty space near my hand.

"I can't testify in court." I said, locking my eyes on his.

"Why not?" Agent Valentine asked, glancing at Agent Porter.

"My identity will not remain hidden, I know it. The jury, the cartoonist in the courtroom, my face will be exposed and the contract I signed will mean nothing. I cannot let my children know who their father is."

"Maria, we promised to conceal your identity. It's in the contract." the agents said.

"You've already recorded my name for this interview." I pointed out.

"This is just for the record. We will do everything to make sure that you and your children are safe." Agent Porter assured.

I looked at Calvin and he nodded.

"Kris is not inherently evil, he was raised this way. His childhood was destroyed by the actions of his parents. He can be good, he's just lost his way." I said.

The agents stopped writing and looked at me. 

"Maria, we understand that this is difficult, however whether he is a good man or not is subjective. He has killed many women and we suspect that he has killed others here in Tulsa."

My blood drained from my face, thinking back to the spot I had seen in the basement.

"What has happened?" I asked.

Agent Valentine placed a manila folder on the table and removed a photo of a woman with long red hair and sparkling green eyes. It reminded me of Jenny.

"Her name is Delphi Lancaster, she is married to Dr. James Lancaster. She went missing a few weeks ago while her husband was on a business trip. He works for Doctors Without Borders and travels often."

I pulled the photo closer to me, lifting it up to get a better look. She didn't look familiar, and not the type that Kris went for.

"I don't know her." I said.