44: The Exorcism of Claire Nunez

Comincia dall'inizio

Everything dropped to the ground and he put the skull back in his briefcase. He took out a book and looked through it. "The book of Ga-Huel," Blinky said. "You were reluctant to dabble in dark magics. I fear now, you are neck-deep in it."

"Traitorous Impure!" Morgana said. "I made you!"

"How do we fix her?" Jim asked.

"Dealing with dark magics is never easy," Strickler said. "There is always a cost, though, I fear we have no other choice. We all want to save Claire, don't we?"

"Go on with it," Blinky said.

"Morgana is using her as a vessel, a puppet, a toehold into our plane of reality. But how? Where is the real Claire?" he shined a flashlight at her, and Toby looked behind her. "She doesn't have a shadow," he said.

"No shadow?" Strickler asked. "Of course! The Skathe-hrün! The Shadow staff! It is a relic of Morgana."

"What are you trying to say?" Jim asked.

The Shadow Staff flew through the air toward Morgana and Strickler caught it. "Morgana is the Mistress of the Shadows. She doesn't cast a shadow because she is a shadow. Claire's spirit is trapped in the space between worlds. The Shadow Realm!"

"How do we get her back?" Toby asked.

"There is only one way. Someone must find her spirit in the Shadow Realm and return it to her body. But we must do it quickly. The longer Morgana stays in her, the stronger the hold on Claire."

"You will never find her!" Morgana said. "You will meet your death first!"

"I'll do it," Jim said.

"Not alone, Jimbo," Toby said. "Claire's my friend too."

"I will stay back to conjure the portal," Strickler said. "It will remain open for as long as I can hold the staff."

"You mean we will stay," Blinky said. "You two find Claire and get back." He turned to Strickler. "I will keep all my six eyes on you, on both of you!"

***

Gunmar and Draal walked through the forest, with Aaarrrgghh chained up behind them. "Merlin dead," Aaarrrgghh said. "Staff lost."

"But what is lost can be found," Gunmar said. "She told me who will show me the way."

"Why bring me?"

"When we arrive, all will become clear. Don't worry, you shall serve your warlord one last time."

***

Morgana struggled through her restraints as Jim and Toby walked into the room. "We brought everything you asked," Jim said.

"And tacos!" Toby held up a bag of tacos. "You didn't ask for those but—"

"Did you bring the emotional anchor?" Strickler asked.

"Here," Jim held up Suzy Snooze. "She's had it since she was a baby."

"Perfect. It will lead you to her. When you cross over, speak the incantation 'Modus Occul-Takh'.

"Modu—modus Ocltahm," Toby said.

"Modus Occul-Takh," Jim said.

"Perfect," Strickler smiled. "Once you get Claire, to return, use the rabbit again and say the incantation in reverse."

"Hkat-Lucco Sudom," Blinky said.

"Hkat-Lucco Sudom," Jim and Toby repeated.

"We haven't much time," Strickler said. "We must act now, or she may be lost forever. The staff!" he picked it up and created a portal near Claire's window. "Claire always made it look so easy," Toby said.