Chapter 31b

Dedicated to RockyJudithOlivaPeca and your Thursday habit! (even though this is posted on a Wednesday!)

*****************************************

Miss Lampeter carried the lemon water on a silver tray and set it on the dressing table. “Had a nice visit, did you?”

I bit back a rambling explanation. Nadine wouldn’t explain. She was above that. “Yes, thank you.”

“Try the lemon water?”

“In a moment.”

She looked a bit put out that I didn’t test it immediately. But she had been, in my opinion, too forward with me—with Nadine. I wanted to put her in her place a bit. She could wait. 

I had her resume styling my hair. While she brushed it, I sent a thought to Dietrich. 

Master Fenrey was here.

Oh? He drew out the word, as if he was waiting for a good story.

He tried to kiss me.

Laughter filtered through our mental connection. 

Suspicion dawned in my mind. You don’t sound very surprised. How did you know?

There’ve been rumors.

I haven’t heard any.

Guild member rumors, cariad. You do know that up until a month ago, I actually spent more time with them than with the apprentices, right?

I didn’t like the reminder of the difference in status between us. I think it’s scandalous! He’s the manager.

Hmm…as scandalous as an apprentice kissing her company director?

Shut up.

He was still laughing. Are you all right?

No! I’m appalled. She has a protector.

And her protector has a wife. What of it?

I tried to keep the miffed expression off my face so Miss Lampeter wouldn’t notice I was carrying on a mental conversation.  Well, you might have given me some warning at least. 

Honestly, I never even thought about it. What did you do?

I pushed him away. And then he figured out I wasn’t Nadine. He knows it’s me.

His amusement shut off abruptly. Ah. Well, our goal was to shift you so close only a mother or a lover could tell. I guess we succeeded. How much trouble are we in?

I don’t think any. But he wants to tell the rozzers.

I can do that.

I should go now. Miss Lampeter will think I’m rude if I keep ignoring her.

I’m right here if you need me.

I know.

I returned my attention to preparing for the show. As Miss Lampeter worked on my hair, she kept eyeing the glass of lemon water. I knew she was dying for me to take a sip and tell her if she’d done it right. 

But then I remembered the brugmansia drug. Nadine’s lemon water habit was too well-known. It would be a good target if anyone was trying to slip me the drug. 

While Miss Lampeter was in the corner of the room, heating up my steam-powered curling iron, I grabbed the glass and dribbled some of the water into the vase of flowers on a stand next to the dressing table. I set the glass back on the tray with a clink.