16

Saying goodbye to Viktor was harder than it had ever been. I didn't want him to go and I knew things were going to be harder without him as he always made everything easier. I waved him off and got ready to leave for Hogwarts.

Dad and I spent the entire day together before I'd be leaving. We did a lot of talking and laughed about stupid things dad did when he was young.

It was starting to get dark when dad and I apparated for King Cross Station but that wasn't the place I saw. We were surrounded by tall trees and the wind howled through the leaves. I squinted my eyes and looked at dad.

"This isn't King Cross Station, where are we?"

"Kielder forest, before you leave I have a surprise." he announced and grabbed my hand. I grinned and followed him through the forest.

We came to a stop when dad whistled using two fingers. I was somewhat confused until heavy footsteps were heard and something big appeared from behind one of trees.

My eyes went wide with amazement as a Hippogriff walked closer. Dad chuckled seeing my excitement. I stepped closer and ignored dad's warnings. I knew what to do and bowed down hoping the Hippogriff would accept me as they were to be treated with respect. Almost instantly the hippogriff bowed down himself as a sign of acceptance.

I smiled and reached my hand out to touch its feathers. He let me and made some squeaky sounds as I brushed my fingers along his shiny feathers.

"The name's Buckbeak, you know the Hippogriff I told you about? This boy pretty much saved my life and from now on he's all yours. I know this guy who lives in this forest. He takes care of him whenever I can't. But when you finish this year at Hogwarts you can take him anywhere you want."

"Really?" I asked in disbelief.

Dad chuckled and nodded. My jaw dropped and I jumped up and down before crashing into dad's arms. "I can't believe it!"

Dad was about to open his mouth to speak when I turned my attention back to Buckbeak. I leaped forwards and climbed on top of the creature.

"Kaia, careful he—"

Within seconds Buckbeak began running. His wings spread widely as he flew into the night sky. My arms were wrapped around its neck as the cold wind brushed through my hair. It felt amazing and free.

When Buckbeak landed back on the ground I spotted a tall blonde standing next to dad. I laughed as Buckbeak hit the ground and jumped off him. Dad and the unknown man applauded as I walked towards them.

"You have some nerve, Buckbeak doesn't normally let people ride him." The blonde guy said, brushing a hand through his curls. He had a stubble beard and two bright blue eyes that popped out the lost. He was a looker for sure.

"Yeah, unlike people most magical creatures and animals seem to actually like me." I chuckled.

"She's not kidding, even dragons like that girl." Dad chuckled and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"Wow, I'm impressed." the man grinned and outstretched his hand to shake mine. I shook his hand and introduced myself.

"I'm Julio Scamander."

"Wait, Scamander? As in Newton Scamander?" I asked with wide eyes.

"That's right, I'm his grandson."

My jaw dropped in amazement. I had always been quite the fan of Newton Scamander and his books. He had written many books about magical creatures and his work as a magizoologist. His work always seemed to amaze me and I had always dreamed of doing the same. He inspired me to say the least.

"I'm a big fan of his writing,"

"You should come over one day, I'll show you some of his unpublished work."

"Really? I'd love that!"

"You're more than welcome to come, any friend of Sirius is a friend of mine. If you don't mind, I have to go. Have lots of creatures to feed."

"It was nice to meet you."

"Likewise, Kaia."

Dad and Julio shared a firm hug before Julio went off. I smiled and waved him goodbye. He didn't even seem that old which is why I was quite surprised he'd love all alone in some kind of forest.

Dad and I talked for some more. He told me how him and Julio met years ago. Apparently dad ran into him when he was on the run and in his Animagi form. Julio gave him refuge and they had been friends ever since, they got along quite well.

I told dad goodbye and hugged him for a long time before getting inside the Hogwarts express. I looked forwards to going back to Hogwarts but leaving dad was hard knowing he'd be all alone again.