Chapter Ten

I walk down the stairs for the second time that night, very self conscious of my outfit for a completely different reason. Nina had decided to put me in the skimpiest outfit possible, which just so happened to be a tight black mini dress with off the shoulder sleeves and the tallest heels known to man. I was intoxicated, but not nearly enough to be comfortable in this outfit.

"Nina I look like I'm going to going to a street corner to make money." I say, completely embarrassed.

"No you look hot, trust me!" She said grabbing my wrist, dragging me the rest of the way down the stairs. "Now, lets go find you a man to dance with!"

"I think I'm going to need another drink." I say nervously. I grab a drink out of a random dudes hand and gulp it down in record time. I squeeze my eyes shut from the burning sensation in my throat yet again and when I open them back up I see Nina looking down at her phone looking kind of annoyed.

"What's up?" I ask her.

"My mom just texted me." She replied, rolling her eyes.

"And?" I ask.

"She needs me home to take care of my siblings. She has decided that Friday nights are her and my dads new 'night out'." She says with quotations in the air. "Well this blows but I really have to go I'm sorry Rae..." She says a little bummed.

At this point, I'm panicking.

"Oh no. Nina, what am I gonna do I need you as my wing woman!" I begged.

"I know, I'm really sorry Rae! But you'll be fine, trust me. Just remember stay away from Luke and you'll be fine!" She warned and with that she gave me a hug and walked out the front door, leaving me in the middle of the hallway, surrounded by random, drunk teenagers.

Well, what do I do now?! I obviously can't stay out here by myself. I'm not confident or drunk enough to do that.

Right as I'm about to turn around and head back up the stairs, I hear a familiar voice call my name.

"Rae! Wait up!"

I turn around in annoyance to face the one person I was supposed to avoid tonight.

"What do you want Luke?" I ask sassily, folding my arms.

"Well I..." Luke begins to say but doesn't quite finish as his mind is wandering elsewhere.

His eyes are traveling up and down my body once again, but I can tell that it's for a very different reason this time. Instead of feeling self conscious and embarrassed like I had previously that night, I felt powerful. I was making Luke lose his train of thought just by dressing up a little. Who would've thought?

I clear my throat a little just to snap him back into reality.

His eyes quickly dart back up to mine, clearly embarrassed by what what he had been caught doing.

"You were saying?" I said with a little smile on my face.

"Well..." He trailed off again, his eyes training on the ground as he scratched the back of his neck out of nervousness. Don't look at his arms, don't look at his arms, I chant to myself. Just because I'm supposed to avoid him tonight doesn't mean I can easily avoid my thoughts and wandering eyes. Dammit.

But seriously, what is he getting so nervous for? He's been quite confident all night, approaching me simply to make fun of me and my innocence, which I honestly take a lot of pride in, most teenagers my age are quite reckless and ruin their lives with drugs and I've made an early decision in life to never partake in such activities, which Luke could NEVER understand--