Chapter Nine

With the fresh news lingering in the back of my mind, I step out of the bathroom with Nina and back into the crazy atmosphere of what is a teenage party. The music is still beating loudly and I, yet again, cannot hear a thing. The bass is so loud that I can feel it vibrating from the floor up through my legs and out to the rest of my body. Sometimes I wonder if the beat drops hard enough maybe it could actually change my heart beat... Welcome to my thoughts everyone.

Nina grabs on to my hand and leads me through the hallway of jam packed people and makes her way to the kitchen. We finally shove past a couple more people and make it there when she asks, "Do you want a beer or something?"

"Nah I'm not gonna drink." I say trying to keep my cool when in reality I don't know the first thing about alcohol. She gives me a confused look before she suddenly smiles.

"So you don't want to drink or you've never drank?" She asked putting a hand on her hip while chuckling a bit.

I quickly glance around a couple times and step closer so no one can hear our conversation.

"Okay, so maybe I've never had a drink before but tonight's just not the night for firsts okay I really don't want to have a head ache tomorr-"

"PERFECT!" She squeals in delight, completely cutting me off. "Trust me it will be fun don't worry about the headache you don't have to drink too much anyways. Come on let's just have fun tonight, you need to loosen up anyways after babysitting that asshole the past few days. Please?" She begs with puppy dog eyes.

I fold my arms and look my eyes up to the ceiling in fake annoyance. Should I really get drunk tonight? Is it worth it? I know I haven't gotten drunk before and what's the harm in doing it but will I regret it in the morning? Oh my god what if I hook up with someone and can't even remember it? What if I puke everywhere? That would suck for me to have to clean up...

Before I have any more time to make excuses in my head, the one and only Luke comes strolling into the kitchen with his buddies right beside him. They all were holding their red solo cups and all laughing and talking together but I couldn't help but stare at him.

To say he looked attractive would be an understatement. I don't know how someone could look so good and yet so effortless at the same time. He was wearing a loose white t-shirt and black sweatpants which should make for a perfect lazy day outfit but somehow he managed to make it look so clean and dressed up. His hair was in its normal messy state and he had his normal vans on. It's not much different from his usual style but ever since I started feeling attracted toward him, it just makes everything about him stand out so much more.

But I have to catch myself this time. I can't like him like that. Not after what he did to Nina. Yeah, he may be different now but I'm not gonna risk it and regret it later on. Besides he's always been my sworn enemy and being anything different is just so foreign to me. It's just better that we continue hating each other and forget any feelings were involved for the sake of both of us.

I straighten myself up and cough a little and pretend like I'm busy still thinking about Nina's proposal tonight.

"Please?" She begs again her hands folded together in front of her.

Before I can answer, I notice out of the corner of my eye that Luke has spotted me and is heading over in my direction. Nina notices that I'm not really focused and turns her head in the direction of Luke. Once she realizes he is approaching, she turns to face me and rolls her eyes.

"Here we go..." She grumbles.

Luke walks right up to us, solo cup in hand, and has his eyes on me the whole time. I shiver from his intense gaze and I mentally curse myself for letting him affect me. He isn't hot, you hate him, he isn't hot, you hate him! I chant to myself. He stops in front of me before giving me a full on up and down inspection.