Chapter 6 Updated

I woke up early and got ready before getting (y/n) up. I gotta take them into town and file a report against (d/n). I helped them take a bath, brush their teeth, and get changed. I still had a few of their clothes from when they were here last. I'm glad I didn't throw anything out when they first left. Otherwise, we'd be in trouble. Not a lot, just a lot of back and forth.

I carried (y/n) in my arms, holding onto them protectively to try and make it clear that no one should try anything with us. I don't want (y/n) getting spooked then hurt. They've been through too much already, they deserve to rest now.

I sat in the police station, already explaining what happened but needed to wait for...some reason. I never really understood why you had to wait so long for this kinda stuff, there aren't even a lot of people here. But beggars can't be choosers.

After about fifteen minutes, most of which was spent helping (y/n) get on my phone and watch some YouTube, a police officer walked up to us and walked us into a small office. I carefully sat down and held onto (y/n), explaining what happened while (y/n) just continued watching videos. When the officer asked them questions, I had to take the phone away to try and get them to talk.

They didn't.

I sighed before grabbing my camera and turned it on, smiling when I saw (y/n) look up at it curiously. I turned the camera on and stood up, gently placing (y/n)'s small hand on my pants leg, making sure I knew where they were as I showed the officer the pictures I had taken the night before.

They said that they'd check things out and sent us on our way. They had given me a card with their number, telling me that if (y/n) talked to give them a call and tell them what happened. I nodded before picking (y/n) up and walked with them back home. I stopped in front of a kid's shop, humming before entering and looked around. I picked up a small plush (f/a), smiling before paying for it then gave it to (y/n) as we walked home.

"Are we going home," (y/n) asked as we walked through the forests for a while. I had forgotten what their voice sounded like when it was like this. Light, airy. There wasn't a hint of pain in it, just normal sleepiness.

"Well, we're going to my home, yeah. Is that home for you (y/n)?" I listened to their response, waiting to know if they spoke again or just nodded.

They nodded before yawning.

"Ma used to say that home is where the heart is. Pa doesn't have my heart, you do," they say making me smile even more. I hum happily as I rub their back, feeling them relax against me.

"There's mo stóirín," I say smiling. I feel them shift and look down at my shoulder, gently rubbing their head as they looked at me confused.

"What's mo...stolren?"

"Mo stóirín, it means 'my little treasure' in Irish Gaelic."

They were quiet for a moment.

"Mo stó-ir-ín...I like it," they say smiling before yawning and rubbing their eyes. They were still young after all. They needed a nap.

"Papa, what can I call you?"

I stopped for a moment before humming.

"Well, you can call me papa...that's really all I can think of right now. I'll find something for you to call me," I say laughing softly. I hear them hum then go quiet. I guess they fell asleep.

I continued walking before gently laying (y/n) on the couch, gently rubbing their back before going to the kitchen and started making lunch and dinner. I had plenty of time so I may as well get a start on things.

___

It's been about five hours and it was time to eat.

(Y/n) had woken up but wasn't hungry so we just watched TV for a while. I can't even describe the relief I had when I heard their soft little laughs again.

When it was time for dinner I got a plate and served myself and (y/n), giving them a smaller serving since I don't know if they'll even be able to eat. They look skinny; like they haven't eaten for weeks. The poor thing.

I sat down with (y/n) on the couch, gently putting their plate on a pillow so they didn't burn their legs or hands. I was about to take a bite before noticing that they weren't eating.

"Hey," I say softly, gently rubbing their back. "No one's going to hurt you here. You're safe. Eat whenever you want, just be careful when you do, okay?"

They were quiet, probably thinking before taking their fork and started eating. I smiled as they ate the food, finding that they still liked chicken, rice, and veggies. I gently rubbed their back, finding that they did still flinch, but not as bad as before. That's great!

I started eating my own food, smiling once (y/n) finished their food and crawled onto my lap. I felt them lay against me and just watched TV with me in silence. It was nice.

I laughed when Gizmo jumped onto the couch and sniffed (y/n)'s face then started yapping as she licked their face. God, kids with animals. Too cute!

(Y/n) was a bit nervous at first, but after a few moments, they started playing with Gizmo, petting her back, giving her belly rubs, and throwing her toys for her to fetch.

I love my little family.

Once it was late, I gently picked (y/n) up and walked with them into the bedroom, laying them down before Gizmo jumped up and laid between their arms, making the two of us laugh softly. I let them fall asleep before going to my closet and pulled my suit. It was first here for something happy. Then after a while, something depressing as hell. Hopefully, it'll be around for something amazing again.

A case was being built against (d/n), and me and (y/n) are going in to help show what he did. Once I gain custody of them I'll teach them how to live again. They'll love it here. They already love Gizmo, and they'll probably love the horse, and the grass all around here, plus the trees for them to climb on.

I yawned and stretched, humming as I felt my shirt lift a bit. Most of them did so I was pretty used to it at this point. I made sure everything was in its place before laying down with (y/n) and Gizmo, holding onto them as I fell asleep. I hope that I can take them away from all that pain, no one deserves that, especially not a child with so many years left ahead of them. 

I didn't really have a dream last night, it was more just thoughts. (D/n) was so strange when we first met. He was cold, didn't seem to have many emotions, and was too...proper in a sense. Okay, proper isn't the right term, but still, something about him was off. Now I can see why.

I sighed before looking down at (y/n) and Gizmo. I was surprised to see her still here. Normally Gizmo ran around in the early hours of the day, now she's just laying with (y/n) and looking at me.

"Good girl," I say softly before carefully getting up and got dressed. I made some breakfast before checking on (y/n), smiling as they slowly woke up. I walked over to them and helped them get up and eat their breakfast.

"Hey, I gotta go back into town for a while, I'm gonna leave you with my ma. Do you think you're okay with that," I ask softly. They were quiet before nodding. I smiled before kissing their head and finished getting ready. I helped them put their plate away and walked them next door, to the real house, before explaining to my mother what I was doing. I smiled when she said it was okay, and that she'd keep (y/n) safe. I thanked her, hugged her and (y/n), then left for town.

I walked through the forest where our house resided in and eventually made it to town. I smiled before looking around. Everything was bright for once and I knew that I would win this case. I won't have to worry about (y/n) being in danger anymore. They'll be safe with me and ma, and I'll get to smother them in gifts again.

That thought made me laugh before I continued walking to the police station. Everything was pretty quiet today but I didn't mind the wait this time. Kind of. Soon I'll know what I'll have to do to get (y/n).