In the midst of his rambling thought, all the while trying to look totally immersed in every word that Ms. Montgomery was saying, the bell rang.

As if their brains were connected by Nano technology, as one, the students erupted from their chairs and pushed and shoved their ways to the door all the time hollering and yelling varying themes of "school is out for the summer!"

"Now wait a minute!" Miss Montgomery said still trying to maintain her authority and stop the students from leaving. "You leave only when I say you can leave you-oh never mind!" she laughingly gave up and instead began shooing them out of her room. "I give up!" she declared, her eyes raised to the heavens as the stampeding sound of hundreds of feet filled shoes running down the hall filtered through her now empty door. As the cacophony of noise grew quieter, she sighed and turned back from her door. She was surprised when she saw Ricky was still sitting at his desk. Then again she shouldn't be too surprised since it wasn't the first time this had happened, and it probably wasn't going to be the last.

"You may leave now Ricky," she urged with a smile.

He nodded and got up from his seat putting his book bag straps over his shoulders so it settled evenly along his back. Ricky was actually kind of excited. This was his very last minutes in Middle School. As he walked out today he would transition from an eighth grader to a ninth grader which meant be became a high schooler. Granted, he reminded himself, it would mean he'd be playing with the big boys now in a much larger school and the thought was intimidating-especially since he was shorter than most people. But it was also exciting.

But the main reason he was most excited right this minute had nothing to do about the next school year and where he would be. No. Right this very minute Ricky was thrilled at the prospect of going almost three months without any homework, projects, or stupid bullies. Thrilled and relieved to say the least.

He decided he would worry about high school when the time came. Instead he would set his concerns on how he was going to spend his summer vacation. Other than his computer, video games and monster movie collection he needed to look into his other options and take advantage of the long summer days ahead of him.

He turned to face his teacher one last time. It was going to be the last time they'd see each other so he wanted to bid her farewell. "Bye Ms. Montgomery, have a great summer."

"You to Ricky! Don't worry about high school," she advised him with a knowing smile seeming to have read his earlier thoughts. "You'll grow to love it!"

Ricky had his doubts but didn't feel the need to voice them to her. Like most adults she would most likely just pat his head, say a few trite encouraging, adult-necessary words and send him on his way. So instead he smiled his typical small awkward smile and waved at her before making his way out of her classroom.

He walked down the now empty hallways to the front of the school where most of the students were, waiting for their rides to take them home. As Ricky walked out the school doors he could not help but notice the various students around him. Many of the students were laughing together in big groups, giggling together in small groups, some were knocking around a ball, while others wrote in their friends yearbooks. Watching them brought a pang of loneliness that was far from being unfamiliar to him.

Ricky didn't really have a friend. He had a few good acquaintances he knew and occasionally talked to but not a real friend. The kind of friend that you trusted with your secrets and your dreams, the kind of person you could count on to have your back no matter what...

As he descended the school stairs, lost in his thoughts, a basketball struck him hard on his cheekbone.

"Ow!" He groaned while rubbing at the abused side of his face. "That hurt." He commented to himself.