Chapter 21

“You’ll have your execution today. Here,” she says.

I freeze there, not knowing what to do. I can feel tears forming in my eyes. What did she just said?

“But I’ll let you speak with Indigo, don’t worry,” she assures. But it just doesn’t affect anything on me.

“Please,” I whisper. My voice can just go that far. The stiches hurt more than I thought.

She shouts to the military hair cut guy to come into the room and bring Indigo in. He rush, almost trip when he does. She stands between the open door with her arms fold.

“Elle, where’s Elle?” a voice come from afar. It’s Indigo, I’m pretty sure of that. There’s a sound of minor scuffle between the two of them but he eventually bring Indigo to the room. He practically run towards me and give me a bear hug. Then he plants a kiss on me. It’s short, but it still feels tender and passionate.

“Indigo,” I breathe; pulling myself from the kiss.

“You have fifteen minutes,” she announce with a cold, straight tone.

“Elle, listen to me,” he rush while he cups my face. I hold up my tears from falling. “Hey, hey, don’t cry, my love. Don’t cry.”

“They just won’t let you meet me for the rest nine months!” I complain.

“I know. But it’s over, right?” he soothes as he stroke my hair.

“No it’s not! We only got fifteen minutes!”

“Hey, look what I have here,” he says, as if he’s trying to cheer up a five years old. He grabs something from his back. It’s a book with hard cover. “Here, I bring a fairy tale for you.” I chuckle and shake my head in disbelief. “This one’s different. Take a look at the cover!”

I slowly take it away from his grip and zooms in on my face. There’s a girl with a pixie cut and blonde hair. She wears a gorgeous puffy dress with puffy sleeves. The background is a manor that looks very much like Holy Warrior’s building.

“Is that me?” I whisper with full of doubt.

“Yes. She is. The journalist helps me to make a fairy tale of us,” he chuckles. “I figure that you like fairy tale, so I decided to make this.”

I cup my mouth, “This is so… oh my God. You should probably remember that I love you.” He chuckles in return. I kiss him on the forehead and smiles. We nearly forget that the cop is standing there in the corner of the room examining us with a straight face.

“Ten more minutes,” she reminds. But we ignore them like she ignore us.

“May I read it to you?” he smiles. I nod in excitement and small claps.

***

“Then she—we—lives happily ever—“

The female cop cuts the line by walking towards us with a couple of her men. “Time’s up,” she shrugs. Her men drag Indigo away from me. He screams, and then kicks the ground like a kid. It hurts to watch Indigo like that so I weakly reach an arm to him as the female cop stop me.

“But we’re happily ever after, right…?” I cry. But all I get is a sad stare from Indigo. I start to scream my lungs out and pull every medical instrument that injects through me. “Please… please Indigo… just say the word like you used to. Say that we’re happily ever after,” I plead with a sob.

“Bring me the syringe!” she screams. I know it’ll be a lethal injection. But I’m just not ready yet.

“Just do it on me!” he yells.

“No! No, please! I’m the prisoner right? I’m supposed to die!”

“Well if that’s what he wants,” the female cop says. I shake my head in disbelief. My chest heaves up and down in rage. This is so not fair.

“What the hell? That’s against the law! He’s innocent!”

“Just do it on him,” she calmly orders.

 Her men come towards him and pin him on a chair as one of them grabs the syringe out of his pocket. I scream and shuffle to Indigo who sinks into the chair with no regrets. The stiches hurt, but I keep going. I’m so far away from him. Please don’t tell me that I’m too late to stop them.

“Grab the syringe and run!” I order Indigo. “We’ll run away from here!”

He then reflects in alarm knowing that we have a chance to run away. The female cop pulls out her rusty gun from its holster and points it towards me. She threatens me not to move, but it’s too late. I’m already besides the man who’s about to inject Indigo. Indigo shoves him as he falls to the ground. He quickly grabs my wrist as we plan an escape through the maze-like hospital. But suddenly I feel an odd pain. Everything goes fuzzy as it swirls, just like the last time Lori injects me. But this is different. I can feel that somehow my breathing goes slow and every organ inside me feels like it’s shutting down.

“Elle, look at your arm!” Indigo shouts. I obediently do, even though my action feels like in a slow motion. There’s a syringe that injects right through my arm. It must be when Indigo shoves that man. “No… no, no, no! This can’t be… Elle? Elle stay with me!”

I intend to reply but nothing comes out my mouth.

“Elle, no…,” he shakes his head and sobs. “I love you… I love you. Please…”

I remain silent. My sight feels like it almost shut down.

“We’re happily ever after. That’s what you want to hear right? I love you and we’re happily ever after,” he sobs. “I love you,” he repeats again. "Elle, what can I do without you, please... we almost made it! I love you, just..."

My sight shuts down. Everything goes black.