Chapter 9

The next morning, I woke up by the smell of coffee that Indigo brewed. Meanwhile, Edelweiss and Lori were still asleep in the corner. I found Violin sitting in the corner of the room, staring blankly onto his palms. Indigo walked towards me and handed me a hot chocolate with marshmallows spread on top of it. I mouthed a ‘thank you’ and quickly took a sip while he did to his brewed coffee.

***

            A few hours later, we left Violin’s office with our own backpacks and flew to Germany. I spent most of the time looking at the window near my seat. All of us had separated seats, so the flight was quiet. We then went to one of Yvonne’s house in Germany. Yvonne admitted that she underestimated the problem, so she finally agreed to help us and borrowed us her house in Germany for a moment. I didn’t know Yvonne that much, but it still sounded so unlike of her.

            We finally arrived at her house.

“Seriously, I’m beat!” pouted Lori. I nodded in agreement and opened the fancy wooden door. We dropped our jaws.

“What the…”

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” screamed Edelweiss. When Edelweiss said that, you’re in a big trouble. “This isn’t a house, this is a library!”

We all rolled our eyes. However, this looked like home to Yvonne. Edelweiss flew to the top of the tall bookshelf and shrieked. “Okay, I’ll take that back, This IS a house. Look! There are beds on top of every bookshelf.” She clapped her hands in excitement and didn’t leave the ‘bedroom’ for hours. Violin and Lori flew on other bookshelves and did the same.

“Hey,” greeted Indigo.

“Hey.”

He cleared his throat and started to pick some random books and put it on our table.

“These are my favorite books,” he smiled. “Since we’ve been tired this whole day, I thought you want to read as a reward for yourself.”

I raised an eyebrow and chuckled. “It’s not that I don’t like to read, it’s just I rarely read and it’ll feel odd to me.”

“It's funnny tha you're smarter than me yet I’m the one who’s a bookworm.”

We laughed. I missed laughing with him, and it was already a reward for everything we’ve done this whole tiring day. I thought it was strange that he thought of me as a funny person but Violin never did. He always had been a serious person.  

“Okay since you don’t like to read, might as well I just read it to you.”

“Yeay! Bed time story!” I cheered like a five years old. He threw his head laughing and started to read me the story. The title was ‘Red Riding Hood’. He said it was a story for kids, but since the supervisors never bought any books for the orphans, so he read it for me. To my surprise, I really enjoyed the story.

“And they’re happily ever…,” he stopped.

“Yes?” My eyes grew wide as I got excited. “Indigo?” His face was covered behind the book, and when I checked it out, he was asleep. I groaned. I was about to woke him up, but his bed-face pulled me out of the urge. I took out my pajamas from my backpack and found Indigo’s backpack lying below mine. The backpack was unzipped.

“Hey, Indigo, your backpack’s still open,” I warned. But all I got was his snore as the reply. I zipped his backpack and accidentally saw a book in his bag. I grabbed the book out of the bag without thinking. "Maybe he can read this one to me sometime," I noted.

The book had a red-blood cover with no title. How suspicious. I opened the book slowly as if there were something scary in it. My pupils grew bigger as I read the title: “Ellis’s diary”.

"What?" I covered my mouth in shock. Where did he get my mother’s diary? Did he keep a secret from me?

But most of all, why didn’t he tell me?

Why…