Part One: Chapter Eleven: Just A Friend

Start from the beginning

     I haven't talked to mom since last night in the bathroom. I can't imagine what I could possibly say to her. We awkwardly passed each other this morning as she was leaving. She tried to talk but I vanished before I let her utter a syllable. Sammy, however, is impossible to ignore. Her smile and innocence could stop a war. Our world needs more people like her. My trail of thought is interrupted by the sound of the back gate opening and then crashing shut. I sit up and pull on a t-shirt, afraid to show my body to who ever is around the corner. The persons footsteps become increasingly louder until a man emerges.

     “Jack, oh, I thought you were out.” Keith says, just as delighted to see me as I am to see him. I sigh and return to lying down on one of the sun chairs, less than thrilled to see him. He plays with a key in his hand and smiles awkwardly as I slide a pair of sunglasses on. “Your mom forgot to bring the picnic basket so I said I'd swing by and get it.” He says it as if this is typical Karen Thorne behavior, to forget the picnic basket. I feel somewhat offended that I wasn't invited to family day at the park.

     “Oh she did, did she. Silly mom, eh? You know, keith, she used to always forget the basket when we would picnic with dad, you know, before he died and all.” I say, pulling my glasses downwards so he can see my eyes. He nods, enters the house from the back and a few seconds later reappears with the basket, overflowing with food and drinks. He doesn't acknowledge me as he goes to walk back to his car, but just before turning the corner he looks back to me.

“Well maybe if you hadn't of passed your dad the phone while he was driving, he would still be here to enjoy a lovely picnic with his family.” He smiles, triumphantly. He knows his words have impact on me. He twiddles the house key in his hand, and then walks away. I wait until I hear the sound of the gate closing until I allow myself to cry. Crying won't help though, I need to have the last word. I need him to know that he can't win whatever sick game he is playing. I step up and run around to the front of the house in my bare feet.

     He is sitting behind the wheel of his pick-up truck, the picnic basket sitting safely in the trailer section. His window is rolled down, his arm resting on the panel. He starts his truck as I storm over to him. I'm almost frothing at the mouth. I don't even notice until I lean in through the window that Sammy is sitting in the passengers seat, a wide smile on her face because her big brother is here.

“Jack!” she exclaims. “Are you coming with us to the park?”

“No, not today Sammy. I have homework to catch up on.” Her smile fades, she knows what's really going on. She know's I wasn't invited, nor do I want to go, because of Keith.

“Ah, that's a shame, Jack. It's going to be a great day, eh Sammy?” Keith says.

     His phone starts vibrating, my moms name flashes on the screen. He picks it up and suddenly his tone of voice changes. “Hey honey, yeah we're on our way now, just picked up the basket. I'm gonna hang up now,” he looks to me before speaking his next line, “you know, I hate driving while on the phone. See you soon.”

     I step away from the truck and watch as it backs out of the driveway, all the while keeping my eyes focused on Keith. I watch the truck drive off down the street, and even though its far away, I can still hear Sammy's laugh and I imagine her smile. Her smile can stop a war, but it won't stop the one brewing between me and Keith.

     I slam the back gate shut and running around to the back garden, without thinking, I jump into the water. It envelopes me in pure silence and looking up, I see tree's growing in length as I fall deeper under water. I let out a scream underwater knowing that, from above, no one can hear me. I look down to the bottom of the pool and spot something in the corner. I swim over to it. It's a jigsaw piece. I grasp it in my hand and swim to the top of the water and take in a big breath of air.