Taking Notes

"Uh-Oh. How do I prevent death and demise?"

     "Keep your distance but be self aware of the situation. He needs you, whether he knows it or not."

     "Okay."

     "We might get rain tomorrow."

     "Got it."

     "Thank you."

     "What is he doing right now?"

     "I do not know. Accessing home cameras."

     Hmm?

     Gir's stomach opened up and a tv screen unfolded itself.

     "Locating Zim."

     "Wow, you've cleaned up your programming."

     "Yeah. Zim is smart. He programmed me to be self productive. I clean my harddrive and update my own equipment, with his approval, of course."

     "Ah."

     "Zim located."

     The screen lit up and I saw Zim with his antenna laying flat back as he sat on the floor shaking. I've never seen him this sad before. Even when he discovered that his leaders sent him here to dispose of him, he wasn't this upset.

     "Wh-What's wrong with him?"

     "He's unhappy with the fact that he feels love. He's not an irken anymore if he can love. "

     "Should I go over there?"

     "Give me five minutes and then come over."

     "Got it. I'll see you soon."

     "Mhmm."

     Closing the door, I spun around to see my father standing there staring at me.
     "How long were you standing there?"

     "The whole time. Was that the dog of his?"

     "Nope, a robot, the neighbor made."

     "Of course it was. How silly of me. On a side note, you seem to be showing interest in our neighbor. Is there something that you aren't telling me?"

     "No. I'm just concerned for our neighbor. He's depressed."

     "Ah. Well that's kind of you to do, son. Alright, I have to go. I'll see you when I get home."

     "Right. Bye, dad."

     Hmm, I hope he's okay. I really am concerned for him. And I hope this works out to his liking. I just hope he doesn't do anything stupid. I know he's been acting strange and I was ignoring it at first but... I feel bad. Maybe it was the fact that I was okay with him liking me that was weird. I don't know. I mean now that I'm not hunting him, he seems cool. Someone I would hang out with.

Fuck it. I'm going over there now.

     "Gaz!"

     "What?!"

     "I am leaving. I'll be right back!"

     "Whatever!"

     Here we go.

     I made my way to the door of the house next to mine and didn't even hesitate as I reached it.

     "Zim, I want to talk to you."

     It took a few minutes but the door eventually opened and revealed Zim. He had tear stains on his green cheeks and clothes. His antennae laid back flat.

     "Dude."

     "What does Dib want?"

     "I'm just concerned for you. Have you been crying?"

     "No. These are tears of anger because I... I... I hate myself."

     Hmm?

     Zim collapsed to the ground and started sobbing just like that, on his knees, no hiding, no denial, just there.

     "Zim?"

     "Go away. Leave me alone. Zim is not great and powerful. Zim is barely even an irken. I'm nothing but the remenence of an empire. I've been manipulated to do things and behave a certain way. I have all these things that I am not use to feeling. All these new emotions that I can't quite understand. But I understand that I hate myself."

     Dammit.

     I looked around and then sat down beside him on the porch.

     "Dude, it's part of growing up on this planet."

     "I am not suppose to feel this. Any of this. I can't take it."

     "Calm down."

     "I don't know how to. Just go away. Why do you care anyways?"

     "I already told you, I'm worried about you."

     "Why does Dib care? Dib hates Zim."

     "I don't hate you. I have no reason to hate you. Now I don't, anyways."

     "I do not understand."

     "To be honest, neither do I. But in your shoes, I know that having someone to talk to is important. Do you need to talk to someone? Cuz I'm here."

     "I do not wish to be mocked."

     "Never, Zim. Come on."

     "No."

     "Alright. I can't force you to talk to me. Just know that I am here if you need it. Right next door, actually."

     "I changed my mind. Zim would like to discuss something with you."

     "Alright. I'm all ears."

     Oh shit.