Chapter 16: FANTASY

*Hyuna POV*

“We need to talk,” he had said. I had to admit, I didn’t see this coming anytime soon and even then I thought it would be mutual. Sungjong had taken me out to dinner at a fancy restaurant. Fans that had recognized us anxiously stood outside the building waiting for a chance to talk to us. My boyfriend had hardly touched his food and I guess that was the first warning sign. I brushed it off thinking maybe he was dieting and didn’t eat so much either. The second warning was his short replies and the way he didn’t seem interested in keeping up a conversation. I had worn one of my better red dresses today, excited for this date after a successful day of work. Even so, he didn’t compliment me in any way. It was only when he said, “We need to talk,” had the pieces clicked together.

“What about Jongie?” I asked anxiously.

I saw him stiffen, “Please don’t call me that.”

Around that time, cold sweat began to form on my palms, “Is something wrong?”

Sungjong then stared me straight in the eye and inwardly, I sighed. This was it. Even before he confessed to me, I admired him. Especially the way he always worked his hardest and didn’t give up. Even if he received one line in Infinite’s comeback song he’d still give it all he had and practice twice as hard as he normally would. When he confessed to me I was shocked but flattered. I turned him down not just because of work reasons but because I didn’t know if what I felt for him was love or just admiration. I remember thinking, ‘Why not give it a shot?’ I was happy. I had fun.

“I think we should break up.”

But that all ends now, I didn’t cry but he took a piece of my heart and didn’t give it back.

“I understand,” I smiled sadly. “I wish you all the best.”

Sungjong searched my eyes, “Aren’t you mad?”

I glanced at him and sighed, “I should have ended it when I recognized that look you had when you looked at Misora wasn’t just one of friendship.”

He seemed taken aback.

I laughed lightly, “It was fun while it lasted but I can’t replace the one you truly love. What you had for me was probably just a small crush.”

“I’m sorry,” Sungjong apologized looking down at his full plate.

“Don’t apologize,” I chuckled, “Chin up, hwaiting.” I stood up and smiled at him one last time, “I’ll see you around.”

Sungjong nodded and I walked away. I know I had subtly told him to go for it but a part of me was unbelievably heartbroken.

 ***

*Misora POV*

I sat at the back of the room, watching as Infinite continuously practiced their choreography. I felt a small smile creep onto my lips as I saw how hard they were working. The song ended and they all collapsed onto the floor in pants and huffs. Flitting around, I handed them all drink bottles and towels.

“Good work guys,” I grinned.

They all nodded and resumed panting and downing their drinks.

“I’ll be going now,” I told them.

Sungjong lightly grabbed my ankle from where he was lying on the floor, “Why can’t you stay?”

“I already told you Jongie,” I squatted, ruffling his sweaty hair, “Work.”

“Why am I only hearing about this now?” L chimed in.

I straightened up to face L who had his hands on his hips, “Because I know you’ll get mad if I told you what my part time job is.”