Chapter 2: The Calm Before the Storm

(2005)

A playful breeze tousled Misora’s hair gently as she jumped lightly from pavement stone to pavement stone, giggling slightly.

MinKi sighed trailing along behind his family friend, “Misora, you’re such a child.”

“That’s fine isn’t it?” Misora flicked her hair back and smiled at him from over her shoulder. “You should play too.”

“Like I would ever do something as childish as that,” MinKi said stubbornly, “We’re in middle school now you know?”

“I’m not an idiot MinKi, I know how old I am.” Misora skipped over to him and pulled him along as she pranced around.

“Yah! Misora, stop that!” MinKi said hiding his face from people passing by.

“But it’s alright isn’t it? When we’re a little bit older then it would be strange,” Misora smiled happily. “Just live in the moment MinKi.”

MinKi was deep in thought for a minute, “Actually… you know what? You’re right. I don’t care anymore. Let’s go!” Minki took hold of one of Misora’s hands and like innocent children, they jumped and played about on their way to middle school.

As they were about to enter the school grounds, Sungjong who was waiting for them by the entrance spotted them joyfully hopping about. Misora noticed him straight away and vigorously waved, Sungjong gave her a small wave back. He smiled at their close, easy friendship not feeling envious or angry that they were having fun without him.

“After all,” Sungjong thought as he smiled at Misora laughing at MinKi who had just tripped over by catching his toe on the concrete. “I have that kind of friendship with Misora as well.”

Misora helped MinKi up, still laughing at his clumsy fall. And the two of them, a cheerful Misora and an annoyed and embarrassed MinKi approached Sungjong, giving him a friendly greeting. The girl grabbed Sungjong’s hand, smiling brightly and proceeded to drag him into the school building as MinKi laughed and took Misora’s bag to help lighten her load.

 (2007)

 The rain heavily splashed on the asphalt and the grey clouds seemed to steal the world of its colour.

Misora laughed at herself, “I thought it was just a light shower.” She was halfway to school in her uniform with only a light jacket to keep her warm. Soon she was shivering violently and willing herself to just grit her teeth and toughen up.

“Stupid wind, stupid rain…” Misora thought to herself as she entered the school building. The corridors were empty as all the students were bundled up in the classrooms where all the heaters were.

“Misora!”

The said person didn’t notice the familiar voice that called her.

“Yah! Akemi Misora!” Sungjong was standing right in front of her.

Misora gave a startled yelp and then laughed at her pathetic reaction. Regaining her composure she smiled, “Sungjong, mianhae, didn’t see you there.”

“I called out to you,” Sungjong laughed, “But you seemed to be concentrating on something.”

Misora waved it off, “Nothing, just cursing the weather.”

Sungjong’s eyes filled with worry as he realised she was drenched with the rain that plodded on outside. “Did you walk to school in the rain without a jacket or something?”

Misora grinned, “How did you know?”

“You can be so careless sometimes,” Sungjong sighed, “What if you catch a cold? Come on, let’s go find a heater and dry you off.” He grabbed Misora’s hand and stopped suddenly in surprise. “Your hand is so cold!”

“You could say that,” Misora gave a single shiver.                       

Sungjong nodded in determination and set to work trying to warm up Misora’s cold hands with is warm ones.

“Thanks Jongie,” Misora smiled gratefully.

“Don’t thank me, it’s what anyone would do,” Sungjong replied warming up Misora’s other hand. After he had finished he looked up with a smile and unexpectedly placed his hands on Misora’s cheeks, “Your face is paler than usual.”

“Really…” Misora’s eyes met Sungjong’s warm, chocolate brown ones and she didn’t feel cold anymore, if anything, warmth blossomed in the middle of her chest. “Sungjong…” She was about to explain the feeling she had just experienced from looking into his beautiful eyes but at the last moment decided against it. “Never mind, it’s nothing. Thanks by the way. ”

Sungjong smiled kindly, “Anytime.”

Misora nodded but was totally unprepared for what her best friend did next. Sungjong stepped closer and gave her a warm, tight hug, “Next time when you see that it’s raining, even if it’s just a light shower, you should probably bring a rain jacket pabo. People worry about you, you know?”

A small smile graced Misora’s lips as she buried her face in his chest, “Okay.”

 (January 2008)

 Sungjong flipped his stylish fringe, which Misora had cut for him a week before, out of his eyes. He stared at the girl lying on his bed with a hint of laughter in his eyes. “Misora… next time, you really shouldn’t barge into my room without knocking,”

 “You don’t sound angry,” Misora smiled up at the ceiling, her black hair splayed over Sungjong’s pillow. “And your mother told me to go right ahead.”

Sungjong sighed and shoved Misora over so he could also lie on his bed.

Sungjong’s mother had been delighted when Misora first came over all those years ago. The two females liked each other and his mother became attached to Misora quickly. 

Misora had been spending a lot more time at Sungjong’s house than usual and when Sungjong asked her if there was anything wrong, Misora shook her head and smiled saying, “I just like being at your house more than I like being at mine.”

Lying side by side, Sungjong lightly took Misora’s hand and held it, both of them enjoying the solitude.

“Ne, Jongie,” Misora whispered, “I think I’m going to have to go soon.”

“But you just got here,” Sungjong said quietly, “And it’s only 9 o’clock in the morning.”

Misora chuckled sadly, “Not like that. Umma and Appa… they’ve been having a lot of fights for a while. And you know what…”

Misora’s voice cracked and Sungjong looked at her in surprise. Tears were sliding down her beautiful face and her strawberry lips, pulled up in a sad smile, quivered slightly.

“This morning… like any other Saturday I was about to come here but Umma… she told me I wouldn't be able to see you anymore because…” Sungjong tightened his grip on her hand, “Because we’re going to move to far away for a while. To New Zealand.”

Sungjong was breaking down inside, he didn’t believe it. He had no control over his voice as he asked in a monotone, “When are you leaving?”

“Next week, after Umma and Appa get all the papers signed,” Misora was still quietly letting the tears flow. "Why do people love if in the end it just turns into hate? If that's what its like to love, then I never want to fall in love."

Sungjong turned on his side and pulled Misora in close, tucking her against his chest still holding her hand, “It's okay Misora. Love can still be good.”

“I don’t know anymore,” Misora cried into Sungjong’s shoulder. “ And I definitely don’t want to leave.”

Sungjong gritted his teeth, willing the tears to not fall. Unlike him, Misora had a heap of good friends that loved and adored her. But they were all still children in the eyes of society, they didnt get a say.

“Misora…” Sungjong whispered quietly into her ear with a sad, heartbroken smile, “…Would it be okay if I cried with you?”