Chapter 9: Second Thoughts

*Sungjong POV*

I bit my lip nervously, my eyes darting around the filming site frantically. I spotted her bowing to the director of the MV. Hyuna smiled cutely, thanking the director again before bidding the staff farewell.

I took a panicked gulp before calling out her name, “Hyuna-yah!”

Her brown eyes flickered in my direction, spotting me instantly. “Sungjong-ssi,” A surprised look registered on her face as she greeted me politely, “Hi… what are you doing here?”

 “I… uh…” Crap. My heart decided that now was the time to have a race with my brain on who was faster but after coming this far I couldn't back down. “I needed to talk to you.”

“Oh?” Hyuna furrowed her eyebrows slightly. I took a sudden breath. She was so cute. “Then let’s talk outside while the other 4Minute members finish changing.”

I nodded letting her lead the way.

The parking lot was a busy beehive with people getting filming equipment away and others shouting across the concrete area announcing next week’s schedule.

Hyuna chuckled sheepishly, “Not here then I guess.”

“Then how about around the side of the building?” I suggested.

Hyuna looked over to the quiet, empty area and nodded, “Okay, sure.”

Reaching the area, I felt blood rush to my face as I turned to face her.

“So…” She rocked back and forth slightly on her feet, “What was it you wanted to tell me?”

I bit my lip. I didn’t know if I’d be able to get the words to come out. “Well… When I first met you I thought that you were really nice and pretty. Then we worked together and I was blown away by your talent and naturalness on stage. The truth is…” I felt small beads of sweat forming on my hands. “I like you. I've liked you for a long time now!”

I saw her take a little step back, away from me.

“Uh… thanks… Sungjong-ssi…” Hyuna said awkwardly. Clearing her throat, I saw her mentally prepare to answer to my confession. “The thing is… I’m not really looking for a relationship right now. I mean… I want to focus on my career. Everything’s going really well and getting a boyfriend, well…” She nervously brushed some hair out of her face, “That would throw everything off track. It’s not that I don’t like you. I do. It’s just… maybe if our current situation was… different...”

I forced a small smile unable to utter a thing.

Hyuna smiled awkwardly once more, “The others are probably finished… I’ll see you around.”

I watched her figure walk away, growing smaller, disappearing into the distance. Letting out the breath I was holding, I braced myself for the pain, the pain which didn’t come. I kicked the beige wall of the building beside me.

“I just got rejected! Why is there no pain? Am I emotionless now or something?” I roughly ruffled my hair in frustration. Unless…

 ***

 *Misora POV*

“So she rejected you?” I confirmed.

He nodded happily. I looked at Sungjong quizzically.

“So why are you smiling like a maniac?”

“Because she rejected me,” He said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.