Twenty Two

"I'm not having this conversation Brandon." I say.

"The hell you're not." He snaps.

"Fine, he was just bringing me home from detention. Nothing bad happened."  Something good happened.

I don't know what it is that keeps me from telling him. Maybe I was happy for once to have something that was all mine, something not held under a microscope, something amazing that was my little secret.

I would tell him. Just not now.

He eyes me suspiciously and turns to see what Boston thinks of it.

"I don't know, but she doesn't have to tell you man. She's your kid sister, even if something's up she's not gonna tell you. Let's go." Boston says throwing me a wink.

"Fine." Brandon grumbles.

They leave and I run to my bathroom and pull Liam's jacket to the side. My neck! There's two deep red hickeys on my neck. I swear he hadn't been on my neck that long but the evidence suggests otherwise.

I don't have concealer.

I don't wear that much makeup, I've never needed it! I run to my closet and search frantically for a high neck sweater or something. I find a grey one with puff sleeves that would go really well with a....jacket. I smile a Cheshire Cat smile and decide that I'll wear Liam's jacket to school tomorrow.

I hang the jacket on the hanger with the sweater.

As for tonight I'll just have to avoid mom and Brandon so they don't see my neck.

I lay down on my bed with a sigh. What would've happened if Liam had come in tonight? I shiver thinking about it. I close my eyes for a moment and try to remember the time I spent with him. We talked about what happened during the first kiss. My first kiss. Then about the Snow Ball.

The Snow Ball.

I bolt up. I don't have a dress and it's this weekend. I text Mia and ask her if she wants to go dress shopping tomorrow. She says she already got her dress but would love to take me. That's taken care of then.

What's going to happen tomorrow I wonder. After today surely our relationship has...shifted. Will he ignore me? I tell myself not to think about it.

***

When I wake up it's 7:00. I scramble. I shower then throw on the outfit I'd planned. I smile smugly once Liam's jacket is on. I shove cereal into my mouth hurriedly and take the green pills waiting on the counter.

Brandon comes down a bit later, he notices I'm wearing Liam's jacket but doesn't say anything.

"Let's go Evie." He says. I jump up off the stool and grab my backpack.

The ride to school is a silent one, I spend it trying to decide if Brandon is mad at me or just tired. I can't figure it out, but when we get to school he turns the car off and leaves without waiting for me. Mad.

I try not to let it get to me.

I grab my backpack and swing out. My mood is sour until I reach my locker and He's there.

"Good morning, Princess."

"What are you doing at my locker?" I snap taking out my frustrations with Brandon on him.

"Damn, Okay then."  He pushes off the wall and walks towards me. I begin to forget what I was mad about.

"I'm sorry, good morning Liam." I mumble.

"My jacket looks sexy as fuck on you." He remarks when he notices what I'm wearing.

"That was the plan." I smirk.

"Really? Sure we aren't trying to..." he pulls my shirt away from my neck. "...hide something?"

I slap his hand away and glance around. Thankful no one else is in the hallway right now. 

"You know I was," I admonish.

"I got you good, princess. I can do the other side if you want." I look away so he doesn't see my blush. Liam looks up as the bell rings, then back down at me.

"I'm gonna kiss you so everyone knows you're mine." He says stepping closer as people fill the halls.

"Do it." I dare him.

Except then he does. I'm pushed against my locker and reminded of the first time we did this. His mouth is on mine before I can protest and I melt. I never wanted to be "that" couple, but I can't help but run my fingers through his hair despite the onlookers.

"Holy shit" someone whispers.

I'm reminded of where I am and push Liam off me gently. I bite my lip and use his body to hide me from the crowd that has slowed to watch us. They think they're slick.

"Keep moving!" I shout. It startles everyone and they shuffle away.

"C'mon Evie." Liam grins.

I don't know how to describe the feeling that comes over me as he takes my hand in his and guides me to English. I let go and open the door.

We are met with stares. I don't like the attention so I duck my head. Liam just walks over to our table and sits, leaning back immediately and staring out the window. Mia's jaw drops when she takes in my outfit. Her and everyone else know it's Liam's. He wears it all the time and it has a rose patch on the pocket. I shuffle to our table as well and sit.

Once I do Liam leans over and pulls my chair closer to his so that I'm practically in his lap. I hiss at him to stop, I see Mia with her phone out no doubt telling the whole gang that I'm sitting on Liam Davis's lap during English, When I move away he just scoots me back. I give up. The eyes bother me so I'm grateful when Mrs. Baker walks in and starts class.

We are learning something about poetry, but I'm distracted by the circles Liam draws on my thigh. I put up with it for about ten minutes before pushing his hand away and trying to focus on note taking. He puts it back.

Two can play that game so I place my hand on top of his and move it to his leg. His body stiffens and I hear his breath change. I smirk and move my hand off his. He doesn't put his hand back on me

I'm grateful for the bell. It rings and Liam and I stand. Mia lingers obviously wanting to talk but I shoot her a look that says lunch, and let Liam walk me to chem.

The whole day is so strange, part of me is deeply surprised that Liam payed me any attention at all today. The though briefly crosses my mind that people think I'm one of his girls. One of his whores. I don't know that I'm not.

There's nothing special about me. Nothing good special at least. I dwell on this thought, tuning out Asher and Liam's conversation since Liam came in to say hi.

Why me?