Twenty Four

We pull up to the apartment and swing off our motorcycles. Sam and I push each other around until we get up to the door. He's trying to distract me from Evie, and I'm grateful but it's not working.

"Jackson's gonna deliver my kegs in a few hours so if you hear the door it's him." Sam shouts from his room.

I put my keys on the counter and take a deep breath. How did this happen? What series of events had landed me with Evangelina Walker? She's everything I not and more. I want into her life, the sun seems to shine so much brighter on her side of things.

She's not perfect, but she's what I need. From her manic highlighting to her friendliness, the way she puts up with me... and the kisses don't hurt. Never had any other girl held my face like that, responded to me like she did, and never had I actually spoken to a girl after I'd had my way with her.

I needed to get her back.

***

After confronting Liam I didn't really know what to do with myself. I wish I hadn't given his jacket back since I was now feeling extra self conscious of the marks on my neck despite the sweater that still hid them.

How could I be so stupid? We are so different, and I don't know anything about him. Yet there I was throwing myself at him just like one of his whores. I wanted to know him though, no one had ever made me feel like that before, wanted.

I make my way to the stadium where Ollie and Mia sit.

"How'd it go?" Mia asks once I'm situated.

"I don't know, I feel like I did the right thing but it still sucks."

"How did what go?" Ollie asks.

"She broke things off with Liam Davis" Mia answers for me. Ollie looks at me surprised.

"Where have I been? I didn't realize you and Liam were a thing. How did Brandon take it?" A good question.

"I didn't tell him, but I'm sure he knows by now." I answer quietly. The talk about Liam reminds me of the party.

"Oh Ollie, did you want to come with me to Sam' party tomorrow?" Then to Mia "I'd invite you but I know you have a cheer competition, and I only asked for Ollie."

"It's fine." She says, munching on a carrot stick.

"How'd you cop an invite to that? His parties are crazy." Ollie says curiously.

"I sit next to him in Gov, we're... friends." I respond.

"Well sure I'll go, pick you up at eight?"

"Sounds good." I wonder if it's a bad idea to be at a party at Liam's apartment where there's sure to be alcohol, and I still am drawn to him despite his attempted treason.

"Did he seem... I don't know, excited or anything that I was coming?" Ollie asks quietly.

"Not particularly, it didn't seem like he knew who you were." I respond. Why does he care?

I eat in silence the rest of the lunch period and barely notice when Brandon, Boston, and Lauren join us. I wonder where Camille is though once I notice the others.

It doesn't matter.

I try to put all thoughts of Liam out of my head, but it's harder than it should be, especially when I pass by the detention room on my way to Mia's car after school, I was still going to the Snow Ball, just not with him so I needed a dress.

If I went in would Liam be in there?

I hold my head high and keep walking.

It doesn't matter.