Part 25: All I Want

(C.U)

"Santa honey, a '54 convertible too, light blue.."

The Christmas songs were already playing on repeat when Gotham's most eligible bachelor finally joined the mayor's winter ball. Bruce Wayne really wasn't for such outings, but playing the role of eccentric playboy billionaire had its requisites.

His irritation was added to by the itchy feeling all over his skin, thanks to the tests done on him at STAR labs. God he wished he had quick healing. He had taken Catwoman to Central City to be checked out for any infections from the plague. It took a hundred tests from an over eager Dr. Snow to confirm what they already knew: no exposure. He also gave the intuitive technical ropes to the team's gadget expert, who was more than happy to help the Batman.

Bruce subtly scratched his arm while he looked for any interesting faces, maybe some friends or family he could happily abide his time with. He'd heard rumor that Thomas Elliot was back in Gotham. His old best friend had made quite the name for himself as a top brain surgeon. Lee Tompkins would be here, she'd never miss a charity ball. Most importantly, she would be here.

He found Lee first. His aunt had spotted him and called him over to introduce Bruce to some of his father's old friends. Most of them mentioned how he was living up to his father's shadow, and a couple planned on running projects with Wayne Enterprises. Bruce was dying inside, stuck with a group of old people when the light of his life showed him the way out.

"Excuse me, just a sec," he absently waved them and had already walked off to where he wanted to be.

❄️❄️❄️

Selina Kyle was feeling very festive after her recent brush with death. Batman had driven her to Central city's STAR labs to get checked out. He'd made her lose the mask, but didn't dare take off his own. How unfair, she thought. Too many scientists, and not enough red streaks at STAR. Dr. Snow poked her with a hundred needles to confirm she didn't have the plague.

As soon as Selina had made it home, she called her sister. After crying about how she'd almost died without saying goodbye, Selina told Maggie all about her adventures with the superheroes, and her date with Bruce Wayne.

After almost dying, Selina wanted to live a little. And there was only one event that served both her lives: the mayor's ball. She'd attend as a socialite, and leave as a cat burglar. How fun! Selina shopped her outfit with her sister, everything from the color to the silhouette of her dress. She asked Maggie to join her, but little Kyle was on a charity tour to Africa, bringing holiday cheer to underprivileged children.

That night, Selina dreamt about herself, attending some similar charity ball. She was wearing a black dress, and the only one with a mask. At some point she rescued Bruce from a witch of the south, and he had definitely caught her stealing. She planned to escape by kissing him, but then that kiss turned into another kiss, and she found herself in his bed, enjoying a very merry night.

Two days of shopping later, and Selina was ready to hit the mayor's ball. Full of stuffed shirts and old hags. Maybe she'd let someone "catch" her stealing and call Batman.

She was late to the party but quick to mingle, picking her targets easily. One mark got a little clingy and swept her into a waltz. He kept talking some nonsense or the other, and Selina tried her best to giggle at the fitting times.