39: Before You Go

Selina and Alfred turned back into the house, each finding their own means to decompress. Selina took a shower, a long shower, where no one could hear her cry about what had happened and what was going to happen. Alfred busied himself by having the house renovated for the summer, too many bodies to count who was here and who was not.

Later afternoon, Bruce Wayne came home feeling guilty as hell. He had brought unreleased technology for his son to mess around with, maybe something they could work together on. He brought flowers for his wife to try and please her.

He came home to find his house busy with movers. It wasn't odd for him to see renovators almost every season change, and thought nothing of it. He saw the backyard doors open and went out, finding Selina sitting in the patio, Alfred sending off the laborers for the day. He smiled, imagining his life to be utopian.

"Good evening, lovely people," he cheerfully said, calling their attention.

"Welcome home," Selina smiled over the couch as he came near. Bruce leaned over and kissed her hello, then kissed her an apology.

"I'm sorry," he said, head resting against hers as he passed the flowers to her.

"Me too," she responded, her eyes closed.

"I'm gonna go change, then I think we'll all go out to eat," he said, already turning inside.

Selina smiled till he could see her, but her mood shifted as soon as he was gone. By then Alfred had come over, taking an arm chair beside her.

"It will not be easy," he warned her.

"I know," they both busied themselves with trivialities until the storm broke.

"Where's Jason?" Bruce came back not much later.

"On an adventure," Alfred responded.

"In the house?" Bruce's voice was getting edgy.

No one answered him as he rounded the couch and come face them.

"Selina... where is our son?" He addressed her directly, conscious of the words he used. "Where is Jason?"

Selina heaved, preparing herself to answer him. "I let him go. He left to find his mother."

"Why did you do that? Did I not forbid it?" He scolded them both, finger pointed out.

Selina immediately stood up.

"It is not your or my place to 'forbid' his search for his mother."

"It is my place as his FATHER to keep him safe!!"

Her shock was evident as she followed him back into the house. "Y-you know something, don't you?"

"She works for Joker," he told her quietly.

"What?" Selina stopped in her step, and he finally stopped walking away, but didn't look at her.

"You heard me."

Of all the emotions she was feeling with this revelation, she was mostly annoyed with him. "Maybe perhaps this once you could have considered sharing that information?? So that your son doesn't have to tirelessly wait for you to help him!? Maybe if you explained yourself, told him the truth, you wouldn't have this mess!"

She walked about flustered when he didn't respond. "For all that I love you, this is your worst quality. You're not a hero for keeping secrets! I hate that you keep secrets, pointlessly burdening yourself and not trusting us. Trusting us to be able to make decisions for ourselves."

"Like the trust you all have shown me these past few days?" He turned to her.

This wasn't her Bruce. Not right now. "Don't you fucking turn this around. We do, trust you. Trust you to behave just like you did. Maybe exceed expectations. You don't fail. Do you expect anything less from your son? He's doing exactly what you used to do, and you can't handle it!"

Bruce listened quietly, knowing if he opened his mouth, it would all close. He sighed before walking two steps towards the cave.

"I'm going after him. And when I come back, we are going to talk."