28. The Mistake

(past)

It was a big day for the girls. Selina had turned 16, which made her legal enough to officially be promoted to auditor. Higher place meant more money. For her birthday, Andrew had given Selina her first paycheck as auditor, which the girls immediately spent. Sylvia dragged the birthday girl out for a shopping spree. They got bags worth of outfits from their favorite shops, not even bothering to try them on first.

At 3 in the afternoon, they went to the abbey to pick up Maggie. The nuns hosted a little birthday lunch for Selina, complete with gifts and prayers. After lunch, the three girls went to the boardwalk for a stroll, eating cotton candy and sight seeing. Later, they went to an arcade, before ending the day with dinner and a movie.

They had one final hangout at the girls' place, where they partied like hotel trashing rock stars. At 11pm, Selina took Maggie back to the abbey while Sylvia stayed home. Selina stayed a while to play with Isis, who'd become the abbey mascot. When Selina came home, Sylvia was gone.

Sylvia was back by morning and they went to work together. By two weeks, it'd become routine for them. Sylvia would disappear some nights, but was back by morning. Sometimes, Sylvia didn't come back, and she'd miss work. Nevertheless, Sylvia was able to keep up her part of their financial responsibilities, and more.

Selina didn't ask too many questions. She was busy hanging out with the Hathaways. Andrew had become like a father to her, and Emily Hathaway was like the mother she always wanted. Emily often took Selina out to lunches, or sometimes even to salons. One Sunday, she introduced the couple to Maggie, and the Hathaways were soon parentally infatuated with the little Kyle.

When school ended for summer break, the Hathaways took Selina and Maggie on a vacation to Spain. The girls loved it. They'd never been out of the state before, and gee they were on another continent. The pseudo-family enjoyed all the parks, concerts, and tourist attractions Spain had to offer. Of course, the art oriented gang also checked out a few of the country's galleries and museums. The girls collected many souvenirs, from different countries even, before they went home.

Once back, the Hathaways dropped the girls at the abbey, and Selina later went home to find Sylvia restlessly waiting for her. Selina was excited to share her trip with her best friend, but Sylvia was more interested in something else.

"So, you know how I've been gone some nights?"

"You have?" Selina teased, "I hardly noticed!" She said as she started putting her stuff in her closet.

Sylvia rolled her eyes and followed Selina, startling her when she turned around.

"I got another job, and this one pays so much better than the factory!"

"And it's night work?" Selina asked with a worried tone as she went to bed.

"...yes."

"Where's the job at?" Selina already regretted asking.

"At a club."

"Sylvia!" Selina threw a pillow at her. "What the hell?!"

"It's not as bad as you think!" Sylvia replied in her defense.

"No?! Dancing for creepy old men in my underwear? No. Thank. You."

"That's not the job he has for you."

"He? And how does he know about me? How did he find you?"

"Remember when we were celebrating your birthday? With our door open? Well, Stan saw us. He came over when you were dropping off Maggie. Sometimes he follows you out at night..."