Chapter 9

When Kara arrived at her base, she found her aunt waiting.

"Kara, who is that?" Astra asked.

"I don't know, but he crashed in a kryptonian pod earlier today. Alex said that the med bay is equipped with yellow sun lamps, that should help him wake up." Kara said as she sped into the med bay and placed Mon-El on a bed in it and a quick got the sun lamps set up on him.

"Kara, why are you helping him?" Astra asked, since Kara could tell that like her mother, Astra recognized Mon-El for who he really was, which meant that he wouldn't be able to lie to her, which she was happy about.

"He needs my help." Kara said like it was simple.

"He may have come in a Kryptonian pod, but he is not of Krypton. He's a Daxamite." Astra said.

"And?" Kara asked.

"He's not just a daxamite, he's the prince of Daxam. How can you help him." Astra asked.

"The same way I trust you." Kara said, causing Astra to flinch.

"Excuse me?" Astra asked her niece.

"I know that the prince of Daxam has a reputation, but at least he never killed anyone. Krypton and Daxam are both gone. The feud between our planets should die with them." Kara said, since she'd learned that lesson already and now she was going to make Astra learn it to, since she would not choose between her aunt or Mon-El since she loved them both dearly and losing them had hurt her greatly.

Astra could tell that her niece would not be dissuaded by this, especially when she knew Kara was right. She of all people had no right to judge anyone, even a daxamite. However, this feud would not be easy for her to look past.

"You expect me to let go of a thousand year old feud?" Astra asked.

"He's a refugee on this planet, same as we are. I'm willing to give him a second chance. Just like I gave you one." Kara reminded her and Astra sighed.

"I cannot promise that I will accept him right away." Astra said.

"I'm not asking you to. It will take time for old wounds to heal, but all I'm asking is that you give him a chance to prove himself." Kara said.

"I will, for you." Astra agreed.

"Great. Now keep an eye on him while I focus on convincing Alex and her boss from putting you in a prison cell." Kara said, since she knew that Alex and J'onn were likely on their way to the base now and Kara was not planning on letting them put Astra in a cell or Mon-el under lead or kryptonite.

Astra nodded, since she knew that Kara was probably the best person to negotiate that deal.

"I will." Astra said as Kara walked back to the command center to find Alex and Hank standing there.

"Where's the man who fell to earth?" Hank asked.

"In the med bay recovering. You're not taking him with you." Kara said.

"Really. And why's that?" Hank asked.

"Because he's not a threat and I refuse to allow you to treat him like one. I can take care of him here." Kara said.

"Kara, we don't know anything about this alien." Alex began.

"He's the former prince of the planet Daxam." Kara said.

"And how do you know that?" Hank asked.

"My aunt told me." Kara said.

"Wait, what do you mean your aunt told you?" Alex asked.

"My mother's twin sister Astra is still alive and she's here." Kara said.

"How is that possible? I thought that she would've died when Krypton exploded." Alex asked.

"She wasn't on Krypton when it exploded. She was a prisoner on Fort Rozz." Kara said.

"You're harboring a fugitive." Hank said, moving forward, only to back off when Kara stepped forward and lit her eyes up.

"Try it and I'll laser your face off." Kara said.

"Kara, calm down. Your aunt is a fugitive." Alex said, trying to reason with her sister.

"She's also the only blood related family besides my cousin that I have left and you don't even know the full story." Kara growled, not backing down.

"Perhaps you should let your aunt explain things herself and depending on what she says, I might be able to get her a deal." Hank said, trying to play peacemaker, since he knew that there was no way Kara would let them lock Astra up and he'd only recently repaired his friendship with Superman, he did not need to turn Supergirl against him, especially since he didn't want Alex to have to choose between her job and her sister.

Kara calmed down and nodded as she powered down her heat vision.

"Follow me to the medbay." Kara said as she led them back to the medbay.

"You must be Kara's aunt." Alex said.

"That depends, you are?" Astra asked.

"This is my sister Alex aunt Astra. She's the one who helped me the most when I was adjusting to life on Earth." Kara said and Astra's look towards Alex immediately softened.

"Then she is one of the few humans who's already earned my respect." Astra said and Alex sighed in relief that Astra didn't hate her.

"Your niece told us that there's more to the story about you being sentenced to Fort Rozz." Hank said bluntly and Astra nodded as she explained.

"Well?" Kara asked.

"I think that while Astra had good intentions, she got lost along the way. I think I can get her a deal, if she agrees to come work for the DEO to help us better prepare to take on other escaped prisoners." Hank said as he held out his hand to Astra, who shook it.

"Deal." Astra said.

"Now, what do we do with him?" Alex asked of Mon-El.

"He stays here. It's not up for debate. I need to know that you won't expose him to kryptonite emitters while he recovers." Kara said.

"Fine. But I want a DEO medic here to give me daily updates on him." Hank said.

"I'll do it." Alex said.

"Best of both worlds, it's someone we both trust." Kara said and Hank nodded in agreement.

"I'll take you both back to DEO to get this deal finalized." Astra said and Alex and Hank both nodded as they left Kara and Mon-El alone.

"Wake up soon Mon-El. I can't lose you again." Kara said as she kissed his forehead before leaving him alone to rest, though she hoped he'd wake up soon.