9

"So your sons name is Weston?"

Garrett broke the small silence we had going on. From what I remember, he was always a talker, never liked those awkward silences. Since I hadn't seen him in so long, it was kind of hard to pick up where we left off, like nothing had happened. Like we weren't friends. Even though the only reason we became close was because of Rhett.

"Yeah, he's great, you should meet him sometime"
"I'd like that...so why did you name him Weston?"
"Well, my brothers name is Easton. It's kind of cheesy but my brother is my best friend; he was always there for me when I needed him, especially when west was born. It was only fitting to kind of keep the theme going."
"That's pretty cool, I like that"
"Thanks" I looked over and smiled at him, looking back at the road, noticing the gates of the pack house getting closer.

Garrett cleared his throat and I looked over at him, questioningly.

"How are you doing?"
"I'm good, Garrett, how are you?"
"No, I mean, how are you doing with the whole situation? It must be hard seeing your true mate with another woman."

My heart sunk to my stomach for a moment and I had to take a deep breath to help that nauseous feeling I had.

"It feels like someone is ripping my heart out of my chest every time I see them together...every time I feel them together."

My grip on the steering wheel became tighter and I could feel the material bend beneath my strength.

"I couldn't imagine going through something like that. This just proves how strong you really are."

My grip became lighter and I took a deep breath as we approached the gate.

The guards saw both of our faces and nodded, opening the gate for us.

"So how does your day usually start?"
"Well, it's nothing interesting, I just sit in my office, studying patient charts, reading up on any possible new techniques, waiting for patients."
"Wow. That sounds dull."
I shoved Garrett's arm and laughed "Sorry I can't entertain you with my boring work"
"It's okay, I think I will find things to keep me occupied."

We both walked in my office. I sat down at my desk and Garrett sprawled out on the couch I have sitting in the corner.

"You know, I might just take a nap."

I heard a nock on the door and knew it was Charlie.

"Come in." I spoke.

The large door opened and in popped Charlie's head.

"Hey boss, just want to let you know, the alpha is coming in for a checkup in about 10-15 minutes. I know it's last minute but I can't really say no to our alpha now can I?"

I nodded my head "I guess not, thanks Charlie" I spoke, taking yet another deep breath to calm my nerves.

The door closed and I sunk into my desk chair. I didn't want to look at him today. Until you're in the same position, no one can understand how painful it is to just be around your mate knowing you can't have them.

"Yikes. Have fun with that." I hear Garrett laugh as he lays down all the way on the couch.
"Thank you for that, Garrett. What happened to me barely noticing you're here?"
"That all went out the window when this turned into a soap opera. I'm not missing any of this"
"You're ridiculous" I snark
"You should definitely get the room ready, he hates when people are late" Garrett said as he slowly drifted off into a nap on the couch.

I tried to push what happened last night, out of my head. I can't have those thoughts while I'm in the same room with him. He'd sense it. I had to be strong going in there, I had to put my poker face on. I couldn't let him think he automatically fixed every problem by apologizing and showing up in my room last night like a creep. Definitely gave me some Edward Cullen vibes.