6

Today was a busy day. All of my patients distracted me from thinking about Rhett...I mean, for the most part it did help. The other part of me thought about how amazing the kiss was, how passionate it was. I didn't realize how much I truly missed him until that point.

"So Mrs. Melvin, your pup is doing just fine. She was just a little sleepy, that's why she wasn't moving. Nothing to be scared about." I smiled, taking my gloves off and going to the sink.
"She?"
"Yes..." I looked back at her sitting upright on the bed "oh I had no idea you didn't know"
She smiled widely "I wanted to know, my mate didn't. Guess it can be my secret for right now. My sweet baby girl. He so badly wanted a boy."
"I'm sure she will be stronger and smarter than any boy you would have had"
She laughed and nodded "oh absolutely, but my mate doesn't need to know that"

She got changed and left the room and with Mrs. Melvin being gone, this concluded my first day as the official pack doctor. I internally shouted and fist bumped the air, hoping no one saw it.

"Very cute." I heard Charlie cackle.

I rolled my eyes and nudged his arm "shut up, I can fire you yanno"
"Mhm, I'm probably the most efficient assistant in this pack, you can try your best to replace me missy but it won't last." He laughed
"Mhm whatever."

All of a sudden my legs buckled beneath me and I felt like my lungs were on fire. My skin was burning and it felt like a knife was being thrown at me every which way. The pain was deep in my heart and it hurt so badly that I wanted to sit there and wither away into nothing.

When it started to subside after a while, I knew what it was. My heart clenched at the thought of me being right. I so badly didn't want to be right but deep down I knew I was.

Rhett and scarlet were being intimate at this exact second.

Just as the thought crossed through my mind, my wolf let out a growl and I looked through the doorway to find my mate and his wife walking hand-in-hand as if there was nothing wrong in the world.

"He's your mate, isn't he."

I snapped my head in Charlie's direction, my mouth slightly opening and closing trying to find words to say. Instead, I just nodded slightly.

"I knew deep down she wasn't his mate. When you have a mate, you are practically obsessed with each other, very possessive. They haven't even marked each other yet and they have been together for almost 2 years now. I never questioned it though, he's my alpha..." he trailed off

I just looked at him and shrugged, not really knowing what else to say.

"So is that your son?" Charlie pointed at the picture of Weston on my desk.

I smiled proudly at my curly haired boy.

"Yes, his name is Weston. He just turned 5. My pride and joy"
"Wow, he looks a lot like Rhett weirdly enough"
"Well he is the father so..."

Charlie looked at me confused and I continued. I shouldn't have said anything but oh well, I know Charlie won't tell anyone.

"We were high school sweethearts. He was my best friend, the love of my life...he still is. Before we knew we were mates, we ending up having sex for the first time on the night of my graduation. He was leaving the next morning and I didn't care, I was so in love with him that I was gonna risk the future rejection of my mate to be with him."
"Sounds like y'all had a strong relationship. I can tell by the way you're talking about him that you still love him."
I nodded my head "I do, I so badly wish I didn't but I do."
"He's your mate, it's your right to love him"
"But he's married"
"To someone who's not meant to be his"
"I don't really want to talk about this anymore" the tone in my voice made him realize that I was getting upset.

Charlie nodded and left the room while I gathered the rest of my things so I could leave.

Walking to my car, my mom calls me.

"Hey sweetie, how was your first day?"
"It was great, I'm looking forward to working here"
"I have some good news, someone is coming to dinner tonight."
"Do you mind telling me who?"
"Oh that's a surprise. I'll see you when you get here"
"Mom seriously?"

I heard her laugh and hang up the phone. Sometimes she really felt like a friend more than a sister because of how much she joked around and annoyed me.

I pulled in the driveway and didn't notice any different cars. Just my mom, dad, and brothers' cars were parked.

I walked through the door and my jaw dropped.

Standing by the table looking back at me was my best friend. Her long straight brown hair was now at her waist and her eyes were still the beautiful grey that I remember. Her smile lit up the room.

"MAIZY!"
"RHI!"

We ran to each other and embraced in a long hug. I missed her so much. We lost touch for a little bit when I got busy with my clinicals so I haven't talked to her in about 6 months. God I missed her.

"How are you? You look amazing? Also heard you're going to be my sister-in-law?! Like how crazy is that?!"

She laughed and nodded her head.

"I'm great, I feel great. I'm so grateful to be back home and to have a mate as amazing as Easton. Also...when did west get so big?"

We sat down at the dinner table and talked for what seemed like hours. Weston came over at some point and sat on my lap while he played with his new toy that Easton got him.

While I told her about my job and the whole situation with Rhett, I noticed a slight snore coming from west.

I took the toy from his hand and picked him up.

"Hey, come with me to put him to bed." I spoke softly towards Maizy, trying not to wake the cutest human being alive.

We walked up the stairs and laid my son down for bed, he was still knocked out. He slept like a rock, just like his father.

"Are you excited?" I asked as we walked out of Weston's room.
"For what?"
"I don't know, everything." I said "being a wife, a mom, having a wonderful life."
She smiled "I have never been happier in my life. I needed something good in my life after my parents died. I thought traveling would help but I just felt empty. Then I came back and saw Easton; everything just fell into place. It was like he was my missing puzzle piece."
I grabbed her hand "I'm happy for you, I really am."
"I have to tell you something though. I've been freaking out and I haven't told anyone, not even Easton"
"Okay, is everything alright?"
"I think I'm pregnant"
"Oh my god, did you take a test?"
"Yes it said it was positive but I just want to be sure, is there any way we could-
"Say no more, we can go to the pack house really quick, I will run a urine sample and we should have an answer fairly quickly."
"You're the best"

We walked back down the stairs to find everyone sitting on the couch watching a marvel movie.

"We'll be back in a little bit, i have to get something from the office that I left"
"Okay" they all said in unison, eyes still glued to the tv.

We walked out of the door and made our way to the pack house.