15

It's been 2 weeks since the attack on the pack; 2 weeks since Scarlet was killed. No word from Rhett, he's been MIA since everything happened, I don't blame him.

I've been feeling everything he's been going through, I can say that the connection is getting a little weaker because I can't feel him as intensely as I once did. I knew he was struggling but I couldn't do anything to help him.

Since the attack, I haven't been too busy at the pack house. People are afraid to leave their homes, afraid of their kids getting killed by rogues, which is completely understandable. Wes has been home with my parents under lock and key, Rhett not being here doesn't help me feel at ease either.

Getting out of my bed gets harder and harder, my wolf is miserable without her mate. Just being in the presence of him calms her and he hasn't been around in over 2 weeks, it's getting hard for her.

"Momma, are you feeling okay you look really tired?" I look at the cutest eyes I've ever seen, he looked so concerned for me.

"Yes baby I'm okay, just a little tired. I'm not feeling myself," I say as I run my fingers through his curly hair "but thank you for checking in on me buddy, I love you"

His dimples showed up "I love you too mom."

Willing my body out of bed, I grabbed some slippers and walked downstairs.

"Smells great mom, are you making your French toast?"

"I am," she smiled as she looked up at me, "glad to see you out of bed honey."

Walking over to the couch I see Wes leaning his head on my dads arm, both of them are happily watching some cartoon on the TV.

It gives me so much joy in my heart seeing them like that but I'm just nothing but a shell of a person right now and I wish I could just turn it off.

"Alright breakfast is on the table, come on." My mom said and everyone got up and found their chairs.

"Rhi, I found one of your old high school yearbooks," my dad said as he sat down in front of his plate "your sophomore year I think" he laughed.

My heart skipped a beat remembering how happy I was my last few years of high school. I was with my mate and I had no fucking idea. Why couldn't I see it? Or feel it?

"I think you were dating Rhett by then, weren't you?" My mom asked.
"Mmmmm yeah I think so." I tried saying very nonchalantly while I shoved a bite of French toast in my mouth.
"Both of you were so cute."
"We were babies"
"You really were." She giggled.

As I look through the yearbook, I find a picture of Rhett and I at his junior year prom. We actually were nominated for king and queen, didn't win though but it was still one of the best nights of my life.

Flashback to sophomore year:
Rhett is going to be here to pick me up in about an hour. We are meeting up with some friends to go out to dinner and take pictures before we go to the prom.

I get a text from Rhett as soon as I finish up my outfit with my black strappy heels.

"Almost there ;)"

About three seconds later I hear a knock on the door and I open it to be greeted with his cute ass dimples, easily one of my favorite things about him. He's always smiling.

In his hands he held a bouquet of flowers, extending them over to me.

"Goddess Rhi, you are the most beautiful thing I've ever laid my eyes on"

I could feel my face heating up, he knows I can't take compliments for shit and yet he's always showering me with them.

"Shut up," I laugh, reaching out for the flowers, leaning in closer to him so I could kiss his cheek.

"Alright you two," my mom speaks up from behind me "just a couple of pictures and I will send you on your way."

We stood on the front porch as mom got a few pictures of us and then got in the car to make our way to the restaurant we're meeting everyone at.

As we were on the way to the restaurant I noticed Rhett acting a little strange, I tried not to pay attention but it was feeling weird in the car now.

"Are you okay?" I ask.
"What? Yeah I'm good"
"Seriously, I know you're a better liar than that, Rhett. What's up? You know you can talk to me."

He took a deep breath and squeezed my thigh with his right hand.

"I love you."

My heart practically dropped to my ass, I wasn't expecting that at all. My heart felt like it was about to thump out of my chest I was so nervous.

"I know that we've only been dating for 6 months but I have this strong feeling that you are the person I'm supposed to be with and I don't want to keep fighting it. I want this. I want us."

My cheeks started to heat up because everything he was saying, I felt it too.

"I love you too, Rhett"
"Thank goddess, you were taking your sweet ass time to respond to me. I was about to have a heart attack"

"But I know what you mean," I said back, placing my hand on top of his "that this just feels right, you and me I mean. It feels too natural"
"I wish there was a way to know for sure if we were mates, that would save us a lot of time huh" he spoke.

Flash forward to present time:

"I miss when things were this simple." I find myself saying out loud to my mom and dad.

"What do you mean?" My mom asked
"I don't know, I just feel like I'm falling behind while everyone is moving forward. I want a family mom, I love Weston but I don't want him to be alone. He needs siblings he needs a father. I just wish that I somehow could have known back in high school that I was with my mate." I spoke very frustrated, trying to ignore the sting of tears in my eyes.

Mom gave me a very sympathetic look as she took my hand and squeezed it.

"I wish I could give you better advice, Rhiannon, but all I will say is everything happens for a reason. I want you to believe that."

I nodded my head and squeezed her hand in return, taking a deep breath in and out.

"I think it's time for Ice cream" my dad said, speaking up a little louder for Weston to hear in the living room.
"YESSS!!" I hear Wes yell.