Fight Fire With Water

Though the King's Guard were ahead of them, Clare shook her head, warning the Night Owls back.

She sensed that the Guard in front of her weren't whom they were looking for, didn't hold the same menace in their blood as the others did. Something was strange about them, even as they wore the uniform representing the King.

She looked over her shoulder at Mercy, clearly asking what she wanted to do.

There were five King's Guard, and Clare could tell there were two elementals, two mages, and one soldier that likely had an affinity to weaponry.

It was clear they were not on patrol, having met them at their base camp. The soldier and first Elemental were rearranging boxes nearest to the tree, while another Mage and Elemental were discussing something in the far corner, the last Mage only half paying attention to the conversation as he sharpened his arrows, sitting between the two pairs.

While Mercy was deciding how to approach the situation, Joseph moved forward. He loosened Vera's hand as she gripped his arm to hold him back, only taking a second to look at Vera as she shook her head at him.

He knew they were wasting time; these men were a part of the King's Guard, and that was all that was necessary to know. They would all fall.

Joseph exited the trees, forming a ball of fire between the palms of his hands. He sent it at the nearest Guard, knowing the soldier would be unaware of the incoming attack, as their group wasn't paying attention.

Michaela swore as she moved the earth beneath the enemy, causing him to fall down, and out of the way, not hesitating as she sprinted to stop him.

A yelp alerted his fellow soldiers to the threat now in front of him, the Elemental turning around instinctively and blocking the fire from consuming the boxes.

"Wait, Joseph. We aren't here to fight them," Michaela growled. She barely managed to take on Joseph's next fireball, the heat melting through the clay dirt.

She stood her ground as she battled against a whip of air from behind her, meaning to throw her off balance. Her feet had sunk into the earth, and she was able to withstand it with gritted teeth, until Vera appeared almost out of thin air to block the return strike.

"Chill, Joseph, just stop for a moment," Vera ordered.

"What are you doing?" he growled at them, watching as the other King's Guard remained alert, in their various stances, but not attacking.

Their leader had seen Mercy walk out, leaving the Strike Guard in the trees behind. Her own Air Elemental was ready to face off with Vera, until the leader signed him not to.

"I'm getting you to stop. So impatient. Mercy says they're allies. Or at least they were."

"I don't care. Move, or I'll strike them through both of you. No Kingdom Soldier is an ally."

"Think for a second. What do you want more? Their deaths, or Eli's?" she accused.

Mercy laid a hand on Vera's arm.

"Stand down," she ordered the three of them. "You want to do something? Get back on your horses."

Joseph growled, but moved back. Michaela sighed.

"And the night was going so well," she commented to Vera.

"Right? You almost made it until midnight without Mercy yelling you," Vera smirked, walking Michaela back to her horse, helping her up.

"I'm sorry about that, Isla. He's just...transitioned from being a Day Hawk."

"No harm done. Well, no casualties, I suppose; better hope than we'd expect when dealing with the Night Owls," she laughed, extending her hand.

Mercy greeted her, both women clasping forearms.

"What brings you here?"

"It's a long story, but I need your help."