This non lucky number.

Present day. Emily's POV.

Grabbing my coffee is all I can do besides trying to process what I just heard. I can't believe it. My brother and my fucking best friend.

Sarah went outside the café to make a phone call. I don't know what I'm going to say when she comes back. I don't even have questions, but I surely have a lot of doubts.

I mean... technically they didn't do anything.
And.... technically, they both were drunk.
I go to the bathroom in order to make my body do anything and wash my face to finally react to something. As I come back I see Sarah's back too, sunk in her seat. I should hate her right now. I take a deep breath and look at her. She seems scared.
"I know it's my brother who we're talking about and I think I can understand why you didn't tell me but, you know...it still hurts. I would've been really mad at you both back then, if I knew nothing would've- but nothing really happened, so I can't be angry about what you two didn't do. It was a year ago, it's done already, you didn't speak with eachother since then, right?" She opens her mouth but I continue talking, like I can't stop now, is my turn now to be heard. "I can't believe you didn't tell me though. I can't believe— my brother? It's kinda flattering the fact you found him attractive 'cause, you know" I let a little nervous giggle appear, "we're pretty similar, bUT DAMNIT, I'M YOUR BEST FRIEND. And the worst part of all this is that I know I still am."
She has some kind of sadness in her eyes. Or maybe shame?
"I hope you still are, Ems. I really am sorry, I hated lying to you all this time. And, to be honest, I think the fact I could not talk to anyone about what happened made me...maybe...I mean..."
Oh no,
she's all red,
he's now impossible to her.
I roll my eyes and let a big breath out before hiding my face between my hands. Then I run both hands within my hair and look at her. Another big breath.
Okay.
"Okay, I forgive you. Only because One: nothing happened that night and it's funnier now I know why you were so drunk alone at my parents' room misspelling the whole In The End rap part.
Two: technically nothing happened, so Mike's clean and his wedding ring too.
Three: if it wasn't for you, Jack and I would've never started dating, and even though" I roll my eyes once again and imitate his voice as a tiny one " 'he's taking some time to think' I still like him and I still consider that night one of my best birthdays ever. And yeah, because you still are my best friend."
I have my arms crossed, I open my eyes as I see Sarah starts weeping. She stands up from her seat and hugs me, I hug her back. She mumbles "you're the best" I nod slowly and whisper "I know i am sweetie, I know I am." We let go from the hug and as she's taking away the tears from her cheeks I smile playfully to her. "Now let's go to your place to make pancakes while you tell me all the wonderful things you can't let go of Mike a.k.a my brother, a.k.a your best friend with short hair and beard."