12 | BLUE-HAIRED INFORMANT

ADYEN

ADYEN

The next morning, I rode the bus to campus with Len. We hadn't gone far last night either. It was just some light touching here and there. We had parted ways in the main quad since we had a different morning class from each other, and I had time to think for myself.

I wasn't sure why, but the whole idea of werewolves didn't faze me too much. It felt like I had lived a part of it in some way. I did have a series of dreams last night running with wolves. I had never done any of that, but it had felt so real. It's what one of my hippie foster moms would have called a phantom memory—snippets of memories that weren't true, and were more of a medium to teach you of yourself.

Classes dragged out, and I used the time to escape into my head to think about all that had happened. I noticed how my cheeks burned when I remembered what we had done. I've had sex with a lot of people, but there was something about making out with Len that was just different. Len had said it was the pheromones, I believed him but how good it felt made me dizzy thinking about it.

Len said I smelled like baked goods, and it made me wonder how he smelled like. He said he used to live in a reserve in Alberta, and from the brief chat, I had with Augustine before I left that morning informed me that you tended to smell like things around you. I imagined Len smelled like some type of wood, plant or fruit.

The day went by, and so did the week. We only saw each other in classes and spoke to each other then. Len seemed busy with assignments, so I didn't bother asking him too many questions. Instead, I focused on my track training and flipped through his notebook when I had the time. Apparently, the story about werewolves he had worked in for class had been part truth and part fiction. After reading it every night before bed, I started to feel like I could piece together what parts were true and which ones were not.

For instance, the pheromones thing made sense, and he had gone into better detail about it in his story. It was like a secondary sex characteristic that showed up in your teens. I wondered when I must have started emitting mine, but something told me that I didn't start having any of them until I met Len. I had figured out that all the stares from people were stares from werewolves who could smell me. I had never been stared at like that until I got involved with Len.