Chapter Seven

I was having a hard time to calm myself. What on earth is wrong with me? With the spirit of bravery coming upon me, I grabbed my phone and dialed her number hoping that she’s still awake.

“Hmmmm.” It sounds like I woke her up. I was trying to look for my voice but apparently nothing came out from my mouth.

“Who’s this? In the middle of the night?” Her voice was shaky but calm. It reminded me of women in vintage films , the ones with the husky voice but I sincerely mean it in a good way. I gathered all my strength and said, “Hey, it’s Brian. I’m sorry.”

“For calling me in the middle of the night or for being such an ass earlier?” Her voice sounds happy with a pinch of sarcasm.

“Both.” I was pretty nervous even though she’s understanding and kind and will most probably forgive me.

“I’m not even mad.” She said. My face lit up and my heart leaped a beat.

“Really?” I was smiling over my phone. It was pretty weird.

“Yes but I will be, if you didn’t allow me to go back to sleep.”  She gave a light laugh at the end of her statement. She was tired and I can hear it.

“Goodnight then.” I told her wishing that she’ll fall asleep as soon as she can.

“Goodnight.” She said.

With her voice in my head, I slept with ease and cascaded to hoping for tomorrow.

My morning classes went by smoothly and things seem to be normal.

“Ben, how are you?” Jerry asked. He was doing a Calculus homework.

“I’m fine. My dad got invites for a premiere. Do you want to come?” Ben grabbed Jerry’s paper and checked if his answers were correct. She smiled then handed it back to Jerry.

“I would love to.” Jerry said as he went back to answer his homework.

“Andy and Brian can sit together.” Ben said it with a sinister smile on her face. Jerry stopped whatever it is that he’s solving and he bumped fists with Ben.

“You’re trying to set me up again?” I told them as I try to open my Coke.

“As if you don’t like it?” Ben said it sarcastically.

“It’s written all over your face!” Jerry said as he stared at me.

“Written over my face, what?” I told him and gave him a quizzical look.

“That you like her?” Ben added. She seems to be recovering from her heartbreak.

“Oh come on. You’re just single that’s why you see everything.” I told them both and chuckled because they weren’t able to answer for a few seconds. I guess maybe, I do like Andy.

“I’m sexy and I know it.” Jerry sang. Don’t ask me how it was.

“Shut up.” Ben said looking annoyed at Jerry’s off key rendition of the song.

“Friday?”  Jerry asked as he went back to his homework, again.

“Sure.” I answered.

Andy sent me a message that she’s doing something for the school paper that’s why she was unable to join us for lunch. I thought I should buy her something but I guess Ben and Jerry will think that I do really want her. It’s not that I don’t like her. I’m not just sure yet.

“Good afternoon class. For your project this month, you’ll be having a pair work.” Mrs. Sorrento said as she wore her glasses. Mrs. Sorrento is the mother figure in our school. Cardigan with a brooch and knee-length skirt is her trademarks. She’s kind and she’s very easy to approach.  No wonder she’ll be giving us a pair work just to minimize the load of high school.

“I don’t want you to be fighting with your partners so choose a friend.”  When I looked at my left, Ben and Jerry seems to be partners already. I looked at my right and there she was, Andy. I smiled at her. She smiled back.

“You must present a short video about your partner. It’s like storytelling. You’ll share the story of your partner that all of us do not know.” Mrs. Sorrento said and discussed all the other details.

“Does anyone have questions?” Mrs. Sorrento said as she examined the room. All of a sudden a brave soul raised her hand.

“What if I’m popular? Well, I’m really popular.” Tony said as she looked at Jerry. Jerry, at that time was stretching his arms. If you don’t know Jerry you’ll just think that he really is stretching but if you do you know that he’s showing of his toned arms. It seems that Tony wants him back.

“Bitch.” Ben hissed. Jerry smiled and looked away.

“People have secrets.” Mrs. Sorrento said. She gave us the remaining time to look for a partner and do brainstorming.

“Hi. I think, I have no choice.” I told Andy as I stood next to where she’s sitting.

“Oh. So here you are Brian, going to ask me something and will tell me I’m just an option.” My face turned white. The horror of doing a project with somebody else was moving into my head.

“That was a joke.” I told her.

“I know but the look on your face was priceless.” She was laughing, the kind of laugh where you gasp for air.

“You really are making fun of me.” I smiled at her and fortunately she managed to calm herself.

“Am not.” She said as she took out one of her notebooks. She wrote something but I was unable to read it.

“The project is due next Wednesday.”  Mrs. Sorrento said then went back to reading her book.

“We can do it this weekend.” I told Andy.

“I guess we can do it in our house.” Andy replied. I saw Ben and Jerry staring at the both of us.

“What will the both of you do at your house?” Jerry said as he gave me his me-gusta face.

“The project.” Andy said with a smug.

“Dirty mind.” Ben said then she laughed. Tony seems to be irritated that Ben is Jerry’s partner and not her. Ben and Jerry went to their seats and talked about us. Yes, they were talking about the possibility of Andy and Brian. They were staring at us the whole time and Andy seems to not notice it. Both of them, went to the cafeteria for a drink just before the bell rang. Andy placed all her stuffs in her bag until no one was left in the room but us.

“Tell me your secrets.” I told Andy as we went out of the room.

“I’ll tell mine if you’ll tell me yours.” Andy said as she batted her eyelashes and bit her lip.

At that time I thought to myself, maybe Andy likes me too.

---------------------------------

I am a cliffhanger. I guess. :) I'll be posting chapter eight  soon.

Thanks for voting and reading. :*

Shameless advertisment: I do have a blog: truthandsarcasm.tumblr.com 

xo Zaar